Obtained a trailer.

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by SUX VR40 Rider, May 10, 2010.

1. SUX VR40 Rider

SUX VR40 Rider New Member

My neighbor was going to take his bike trailer to the city dump. I found this out when he asked me if I had anything I had to get rid of. I did, an worn out queen size mattress and a broken office chair. He told me to put it behind his garage and he haul it away. This is when I saw a bike trailer sitting there and asked him about it. He was going to haul that away so I took it instead.

It is a kids trailer. My wife and I do not have children so I am not going to use it for that. In fact I cut the cover off and threw it away. I then took the trailer apart to see what it needs for repairs. that includes:
    1. New tires
    2. Rims trued and some spokes replaced
    3. May need hubbearings repacked
    4. Frame needs to be cleaned, have some rust cleaned off and touch up painting done
    5. New bolt and nut for chain stay attachment
    6. Pretty much every pivot point lubricated. (the trailer folds down for storage)

After I do the basics listed above I am going to turn the trailer into a cargo hauler. For the sides and top I am going to use a material called corroplast and for the floor I am thinking of using a strong, thin, sheet metal. Somethign stong enough to handle most loads up to 100 pounds, but thin and light enough to not add too much weight to the trailer. The steel sheet will likely be bolted tot he frame and the corroplast cable tied.

This build project will take palce through out the rest of the year. I'll photograph my progress and post it on my blog site and let you know if anyone is interested. Also any suggestions are welcome as well.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I would love to see the build freemason. I'm trying to accomplish something similar and it would be nice to see how some one else is doing it while they are doing it.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

For the floor you could use some aluminum plate, or get really creative, and make a panel out of really thin aluminum sheets bonded to a balsa wood core, like a Corvette.

4. SUX VR40 Rider

What I will more than likely do is go to some place like Loews or The Home Depot and see what they have for sheet metal and go from there. One thing I have experience with trailers towed by a motor vehicle is the aluminum can get very hot when in the sun. Painted steel, not too much, but still can get very warm.

The aluminum sheets Bonded to balsa wood is an interesting idea but I think that may be somethinG out of my current budget range for this build. I have no problem conisdering it for the future. This will be able to be changed after all as nothing will be welded.

5. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

what about some fabric stretched over that you can fiberglass???

6. SUX VR40 Rider

Good idea. But right now, outside my project budget. Fabric may not hold up the abuse steel or aluminum can.

7. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Sounds like a cool build. Got any before shots?

8. SUX VR40 Rider

Yes, I'll try to upload them tonight.

9. drissel

drissel New Member

I'm in the process of doing the same, I already repacked the bearing, painted the frame and am using 1/4 plywood for the bed, a 2x3 sheet, which will make the trailer a bit larger than it was and will put plywood sides on it up to the top of the wheels, about 7 inches, the wood will not add much weight, I already have a B.O.B. trailer but that just puts more weight on the rear axle and I put enough enough on that by myself...some wheels have spokes and others are rigid....I keep an eye on craigslist to find free or cheap trailers...

10. Industry_Hack

:thumbsup: Utility! :thumbsup:

11. SUX VR40 Rider

Blog post with photos: Trailer Build I will upload more as I take them.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  12. CycleJunkie

CycleJunkie New Member

/Users/charlesedwards/Pictures/IMG_0623rs.jpg
    Here is a recent project of mine. Let see if the pic posts...

13. CycleJunkie

CycleJunkie New Member

[​IMG]

Ok ,so after a FAQ lesson I got them posted.

14. CycleJunkie

CycleJunkie New Member

[​IMG]

HIGH Vizzz , You think ?

15. JTGYK

JTGYK New Member

That's one sweet trailer CJ.
    Is it a Burley fame?

Rider-
    Your blog post only alows invited readers and asks for login. :(

16. Industry_Hack

The trailer looks like a Yakima product.

17. CycleJunkie

CycleJunkie New Member

This is from a Schwinn trailer. So no telling who actually made the frame itself. Excellent construction and sturdy. I have an OLDER Burley also that I'm working on and the construction is rather flimsy. I would have thought Burley would have been much better. The Burley that I'm working on has NO welds and no middle support. The Burley is all pieced and bolted. It has 2 large LAG bolts that holds the whole front together. Burley's look to use the whole trailer to keep it sturdy. The covering and all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  18. CycleJunkie

CycleJunkie New Member

JTGYK I'll see if I can fix that. What can I say I'm a new guy.
    Thanks...

19. trx1

trx1 New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVXEF-70VKM]YouTube - How to Build a Bicycle Trailer[/ame]
    how to build a trailer
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHrKQHwyeBU&feature=related[/ame]
    another home made version