Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Friday, go to your local watering hole, have a drink, and complain about not being rich. Help organize a protest in your home town.

·
717 Posts
that's about what I do every friday...except the part about organizing a protest, got that out of my system in the 70's......damn hippies

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I'm tired of not being rich and I don't understand how this is going to fix it.

We have to do something, all the bail outs due to greed and I'm uninsured? Something is wrong there.

We benefit business but those people who buy the products, work in the factories etc are held to a double standard and I am tired of it.

If I file for bankruptcy, which I can't due to the new guidelines, no one is going to bail me out, why the jerks on Wall Street? I'm tired of it and so is everyone else.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
They have every right to protest but i do not believe in there message. If you don't like this country there is plenty of places you can go.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
As far as I am conserned the people in washington are not trying to get anything done except get reelected.
My ¢¢

·
Registered
123 Posts
They have every right to protest but i do not believe in there message. If you don't like this country there is plenty of places you can go.
I agree in theory, but not with the methods, and I spent 20 years in the US Army defending their rights to do this and your right to voice your opinion. Where would you suggest I go?

·
Most Unusual
149 Posts
Yes, protesting from a bar stool would be more fun. Unfortunately, having done a 6 year stint as bartender extraordinaire ... I can honestly say that people have been "occupying" their bar stools for years, and I heard it all ...

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
That's not the point. It's about loving the country and being able to succeed in it. Also as Americans we have the right, ability, and responsibility to make it our own. That's the point of America.

I don't like what's happening, my complaining, my need to change it makes me more of a patriot than anyone telling me to leave.

Is that what we told people on Ellis Island?

What makes America great is being destroyed, I don't have to leave or accept it.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I do not think capitalism is destroying this country like the people who are protesting do i think this is a great country and anyone can make it with hard work. To many people want everything given to them. I think the seniors and the people who served our country should be taken care of. To march on peoples homes because they have money is just wrong.

·
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is that what we told people on Ellis Island?

What makes America great is being destroyed, I don't have to leave or accept it.
What made America great is now being exploited.

At my dad's funeral, his cousin (she was about 70) told me that my grandfather and two of his brothers came to the US to get laid. Yes, those were her words.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Did the bankers have anything to do with the economic collapse or was it the workers with their demands for jobs with decent pay and benefits?

My boss does not pay minimum wage nor does he provide any benefits, not even workman's comp and my job is dangerous. I am a 'contractor' and this is a typical situation for many workers employed in the USA.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I do not think capitalism is destroying this country like the people who are protesting do i think this is a great country and anyone can make it with hard work. To many people want everything given to them. I think the seniors and the people who served our country should be taken care of. To march on peoples homes because they have money is just wrong.
I don't think capitalism is either, but lets be honest, you are about as close to the 1% as the bum you see eating out of a dumpster. The only thing that separates you is a serious illness, falling behind on some payments, or just having bad luck.

The biggest issue, like what happened with bailouts, is that the Middle class and the poor are being treated like second class citizens. I will work till I die or my body gives out and although I've worked my entire life I will not retire, I will have poor health and my legacy will be one of debt.

Hard work will take you far, a single accident will take you farther... down the hole into poverty. Like I said, there's no reason any of you should be defending the 1%, you will never be it. Never. Their laws don't even apply to you but most of you think they do. They have tricked you. Using the media which they own, and the banks, which they also own you have been duped.

Did the bankers have anything to do with the economic collapse or was it the workers with their demands for jobs with decent pay and benefits?

My boss does not pay minimum wage nor does he provide any benefits, not even workman's comp and my job is dangerous. I am a 'contractor' and this is a typical situation for many workers employed in the USA.
That's an issue too. To be clear I live in a union free state. So why am I poor? I can't organize (my basic constitutional right) because of it.

Yeah GM messed up. They paid to much for to little in the Greatest Financial Time the world has ever known, but you're right, blame it on the guys with Highschool diplomas and not the guys with masters in finance. Blame it on the people who wanted to do well and not the people who wanted to live of people doing well.

We never thought this bubble would burst but it has and as where most of you got a piece before it did (because you're 40+) you want to get bent out of shape as my generation is being denied the opportunity while being told you all did by yourselves, which is the single biggest joke ever.

Most of you managed to do what everyone else around you did. If everyone won a gold what would be the significance? There is none. Through your careless spending, and your need to live in debt the baby boomers ruined an otherwise great country and it's time we took it back.

We are a government by the people for the people, not paid for by the rich so they can get richer.

You may be the exception, I don't know, but the fact you defend them when they use you makes you akin to a rape victim blaming it on her drinking to much. We all make mistakes, that's not a reason to be taken advantage of.

·
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In 2007, I purchased a home that was priced fairly for the area, and within my budget based on traditional loan calculations. Right now, it's probably worth about 20% less than what I paid for it, due to foreclosures in my neighborhood. When the government was adjusting mortgages to keep people out of foreclosure, it was based on the percentage of income to mortgage payment. Since I had a sensible loan, I didn't qualify, as I made too much money by a couple of percentage points. Gas, food, and utilities have all gone up, and as I was going through a divorce, household income was going down.

The value of my home went down, because people around me borrowed more than they could afford. Some of them got their payments adjusted in line with their income. Only the sensible folks like myself got punished. The banks that got burned were those that were greedy, and wrote questionable loans, knowing borrowers could not afford the terms. The banks that bought and sold those loans got filthy rich(er). I have no respect for anyone in the banking industry. Making money off the work of someone else, or with money belonging to someone else, has to be one of the least noble ways to make a living. But it's lucrative. I also have no respect for the borrowers that couldn't grasp basic math, bought more than they could afford, and counted on the market to keep going up. They lost their homes that they didn't deserve, but they also ruined the market for everyone else. Are these the folks out there protesting?

·
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wall Street is probably quaking in their boots at the idea of jobless d-bags planning an uprising. Are those guys there to protest, and do they even know what they are protesting?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
The one I spoke to was there to protest but admitted he did not know exactly what he was protesting against.

The fact that they are powerless against the Wall Street bankers who caused the collapse of our economy is not a particularly astute observation.

You have an annoying habit of finding fault in people who are trying to do good, whether it's a wealthy person riding a bike to work instead of driving or an unemployed worker who just wants a job that pays a living wage and provides access to affordable health insurance.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts