Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my left knee isnt superb. Lately it has been feeling kinda funny while riding. I wouldn't call it pain or a strained feeling yet it isnt right. It feels almost like the knee needs to pop, that stiff feeling. After a ride it feels fine.

I almost wonder if my setup on the bike is off? Like maybe the rotation of my leg isnt just so. THe right side feels perfect.

Any thoughts?

·
215 Posts
So, my left knee isnt superb. Lately it has been feeling kinda funny while riding. I wouldn't call it pain or a strained feeling yet it isnt right. It feels almost like the knee needs to pop, that stiff feeling. After a ride it feels fine.

I almost wonder if my setup on the bike is off? Like maybe the rotation of my leg isnt just so. THe right side feels perfect.

Any thoughts?
The easiest thing to try is to increase your cadence (80 to 90 RPM's) in one lower gear, or in other words spin faster in a easier gear. Do that for a week or two.

If you still have that sensation check your pedals float and see if you can increase the float to the pedals. Also check to make sure your toes aren't pointed inward, they should be pointing straight ahead. See if you can move your cleat away from the bike a bit further to widen your foot position. If your not sure how to do this refer to your pedals and shoe instructions or look up the instructions on line. After changing your float, or the widening your foot position. keep pedaling at the faster cadence. Do only one thing at a time, like do only the float increase first then ride for a week or two, if not better then try the wider foot position but don't change your float and keep the RPM's up.

Make sure that as you pedal that your knees are not pointing outward or inward, the knees should be directly over the pedals.

Your crank length could be too long, if your inseam is 29" or less then you should be using a 165mm crank arms; from 29" to 32" you should be using a 170mm crank arms; and from 32" to 34" use 172.5; and 34" or above 175mm crank arms. That was the old school way and is holding current, but there has been some new studies that might change that thinking to even shorter crank arms then recommended. But this crank arm length should be done last because it will cost money to correct; I'm a firm believer in doing free things first, then progress from the cheapest fix to the most expensive fix last.

It could be some fluid build up, if you get no relief from doing the above go see an sports orthopedic person. I'm kind of leaning towards the fluid build up because the other knee is fine, usually, though not all the time, if one knee is good due to the set up then the other should also be good. But before you get worried, do the steps outlined one at a time and test after every change, and then if it does stop bothering you then don't go on with any of the other tests.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds like things I can certainly try. I'll gear down for now. I didn't even think about the crank arms.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Didn't use the third chain ring today and felt an improvment. Then stopped by LBS to have my fit checked. All is well. Steve at the shop thinks I may have been working my weaker left led too hard and need to back off the harder stuff. I also may have a led that is longer than the other.

I am glad that my setup is good and I can try some things. Next I may try a smaller crank.

In the meantime ice and asprin.

Also they fitted me for a road bike....I'm in love.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts