Two Spoke Forums banner
281 - 300 of 315 Posts

·
3,510 Posts
They need more of these, IMO:

Maybe these too:
We need the bridge sign in Delaware, Ohio! We have truckers CONSTANTLY hitting a rail bridge! We had one that tore it's top all the way off. It was important that he deliver emergency equipment to the hospital. As they were unloading.... the driver was being "interviewed" by a trooper and police officer! The state route is CLEARLY MARKED sufficiently, on both sides!

·
Registered
133 Posts
We need the bridge sign in Delaware, Ohio! We have truckers CONSTANTLY hitting a rail bridge! We had one that tore it's top all the way off. It was important that he deliver emergency equipment to the hospital. As they were unloading.... the driver was being "interviewed" by a trooper and police officer! The state route is CLEARLY MARKED sufficiently, on both sides!
Had one recently take a chunk of the top off one of my favorite truss bridges in the next county over: http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/05/10/truck-crashes-bridge/

Idiot had his dump bed up going down the highway. That road isn't dead straight by any stretch of the imagination, so how he didn't notice a major change in handling is beyond me, but maybe these incidents will start getting some changes to required safety features.

(Anybody ever seen a valid reason for the trailer to move over ~5mph with the dump bed up? Shouldn't be all that hard to design some sort of brake trigger on the trailer wheels that would allow it to be pulled at low speed, but make it blindingly obvious at 20-30mph that there's a huge drag back there if the bed isn't fully down and some sort of safety locked to release the wheels.)

·
Premium Member
9,948 Posts
Another way would be to only allow the bed to rise when the tractor is in neutral. Once the driver engages the hydraulics to raise the bed, it locks the transmission allowing the driver to shift into first gear only and turns on a "Transmission Locked" light on the dashboard.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Another way would be to only allow the bed to rise when the tractor is in neutral. Once the driver engages the hydraulics to raise the bed, it locks the transmission allowing the driver to shift into first gear only and turns on a "Transmission Locked" light on the dashboard.
Trick is, that's a lot of specialized information to pass back and forth on an interface that has to be standardized across dump beds, regular box trailers, roll off dumpsters, tankers, and anything else that can be pulled by a typical truck. Easier, IMO, is a system that's either entirely contained in the trailer or has a single on/off "danger" signal line and a deadman-style override to allow the truck to move while the danger signal is active. If the driver has to hold a button to go at all, he's going to have a heck of a time shifting gears to get down the road. Then it's just a simple matter of having the trailer set up to activate the danger line whenever it's in a "don't go" condition. (Having seen a few incidents with truckers forgetting to stop and close the doors after leaving a dock where swing doors couldn't be shut while fully at the dock, I wouldn't be surprised if a few companies would support such a system with a door-open danger trigger on regular box trailers. Also seen more than one take off without raising the trailer's landing gear, or closing valves on a tanker.)

·
Two skinny J's
21,645 Posts
HAS to be photshopped
Property Font Triangle Line Real estate

·
Registered
477 Posts
@ Hotel Lust: I picture Chevy Chase asking for 'sex'.

Reactions: John_V

·
Two skinny J's
21,645 Posts
Maybe not so odd as it was funny when I caught it out of the corner of my eye riding this morning :D

I may need to take a trip down this lil lane one afternoon :D
Plant Motor vehicle Natural landscape Shrub Tree

·
Premium Member
9,948 Posts
I have seen the Caution Trees Don't Move sign in some of the national parks I've been in. Usually just before a blind or sharp turn.

·
Two skinny J's
21,645 Posts
281 - 300 of 315 Posts