Off Road Tubes?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by JamieDamnGarrett, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Any suggestions? I've blown the front and bike tubes in a matter of two trips out. Lots of limestone rocks that are like knives. I've switched to the green slime tubes. The one up front survived the first trip out since the blow out, but that was when I blew the back. I'm hoping the slime takes care of it. There are also apparently solid rubber tubes with no air, but I was told they're not fun to ride on... any suggestions?

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

3. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Curious but what tires are you running?

4. zahgurim

zahgurim zero the hero

Slime tubes are heavy, and will only seal up thorn punctures.

What kind of punctures are you getting?

5. I'm pretty sure the jagged rocks are what got me. I've never heard of tubeless tires (I've only been going off road for a month now). I'll google them. The slime tires do make the bike feel heavier, which is a bummer.

6. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Tubeless tires eliminate pinch flats which are common if you ride in rocks.

7. Thanks so much to everybody for the help. I'm taking the bike in tomorrow for a tune-up and I'll look into the tubeless tires. I've just had too many trips out recently that have had issues of some sort or another, so I'm just looking forward to a good ride.

8. BigDumbBear

BigDumbBear New Member

Throw those slime tubes in the trash and run higher PSI in your tires to avoid pinch flats. If it's actually punctures, get a tire liner or a higher quality tire with a kevlar liner or something to help you out there. Tubeless is a good option too. Probably the most expensive of the options and still has issues to face.

9. zahgurim

zahgurim zero the hero

Yeah... Pinch flatting your tubeless tire is not fun. :p

Try running a heavier sidewall tire (with both a thicker tube and more psi) before making the expensive swap to tubeless.

10. vassago

vassago pedal pusher