Oh CraigsList How You Vex Me!

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Nigal, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

Why do I even watch CL when I have no money to buy? It brings nothing but pain and heartache. If I have a little bike money to throw around CL turns into a vast wasteland of Huffys, BMX's and Next MTBs. As soon as the coffers are emptied I find all kinds of cheap Bianchi framesets, vintage stuff, folders and must sell items.

2. SUX VR40 Rider

SUX VR40 Rider New Member

3. Nigal

That's because the whole world is out to get you dude.

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

That totally makes sense. These guys are listing houses for rent, and showing photos of actual houses, then asking for a payment to be mailed to them. I can see how that would make you wary of giving someone cash for a bicycle or component in-hand.

I meet new cyclists every week with all the spares I've been selling. In Australia, that's how I met some of my best friends, including the guy I raced BMX with.

5. dcswan

dcswan New Member

Takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch. I'm trying to sell my '08 Raleigh Detour 3.0 right now and no hits so far. Either no money, or if they do then scared to buy off there. Sucks for the ones trying to make an honest sell.

6. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

I have used CL 3 times and no problem.

7. jagonz456

jagonz456 New Member

craiglist

I sell everything on craigslist. I don't throw anything away anymore. I post it on craigslist and it sells. I just sold my brand new wheels of off my bike, i got emails and sold it in a matter of days. I sold my old heart rate monitor and a bunch of electronics (phones,Ipods,DVD's). there is a lot of junk in the NYC bike section you have tons of people selling old over priced bikes but every once and a while you get brand new bikes really cheap. I have seen people sell full carbon bikes for under 1,000 never used. The trick is having the luck to find the bike that you are looking for in your size and at a good price. I check out craigslist bike section every day.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  8. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

I feel your pain. I have to keep myself off of CL when I don't have any dough. Otherwise, I start wondering how quickly I can sell one of my kidneys to get that awesome deal.

9. Nigal

I have picked up bikes for free off CL. I haven't sold stuff yet but I have a complete car sound system I need to put up. I imagine electronics have next to no resale but hey, every little bit helps.

10. Industry_Hack

Photos and descriptions make all the difference in the world. I think I mentioned before that I've done pretty well flipping bicycle and Harley parts by buying cheap on eBay and selling for more locally, and the other way around. Somethings to better when offered to a wider market, other things (read:bulky/heavy) do better locally. I could sell $40 eBay motorcycle windshields for $125 all day long.

11. Nigal

Very true. I don't even look at ads with no pics.

12. baj32161

baj32161 American Expatriate Tavern Member

I feel your pain about nothing good being on CL when I have money, but I do not necessarily believe all sellers are scammers. I picked this up for $150:
    [​IMG]

And this for $37:
    [​IMG]

The roadie had a bent derailleur hanger which my LBS fixed for free and I had a rear derailleur laying around to replace the one that was on there so I got a pretty good deal there. The MTB I sold for $100 later on.

Cheers,

Brian J.

13. Industry_Hack

My wrists hurt just looking at that 2nd photo.

14. baj32161

baj32161 American Expatriate Tavern Member

i hear ya Brian but thats the way they were when I got it. I did change the position afterwards.

Cheers,

Brian J.

15. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I find bikes and cycling gear to be grossly overpriced on our Austin CL. I've even seen idiots or geniuses, not sure which, asking more for used bikes then you can buy them new.

16. greenhorn

greenhorn greenhorn

I use craigslist and ebay all the time.
    In person sales only, but I have had great success buying and selling bikes both places. Be willing to act fast and go in person. Craigslist deals are often spur of the moment and need quick action to get the best deals. It is March 29, I have sold 19 bikes so far this year. Buy them in numbers or from someone that needs to sell, then make sure it's in good shape, tune it, put tires on it and make a profit. Craiglist in person, I have even sold 6 on ebay, shipping is cheaper than you think.
    But as always, scammers are there too, just be smart.

17. Industry_Hack

18. greenhorn

greenhorn greenhorn

Ha Ha, I'm green to the road bike world but not to ebay. Last summer was the first time I ever thought of commuting the 6 miles to work on a bike and simply loved it. And it's amazing how fast my interests have went from fishing every Saturday morning to spending 4 hours on my bike riding through the country and city. Being able to appreciate the feel of the road and the wind in my face has opened a whole new world for me.

19. Industry_Hack

I used to love riding my MTB all over. But the hassle of loading my bike and gear and driving to some trailhead has gotten old, at exactly the same time I got into motorcycles.