Oh k... I did it... upgraded to a better bike

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by nrgwar, Apr 14, 2011.

1. nrgwar

nrgwar 9ONE6 Rider

Hey guys/gals,

I just been busy with work,school & life. I unplugged my self from cyberspace & now I am back.

Hi....

So the good news is this. I owned a 26" Men's Mongoose XR 250 Comp Dual-Suspension Bike. I was looking on my local craigslist: san antonio classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events and I came across this 26" Men's Schwinn S-25 Dual Suspension Bike for $25.00 Yes only $25 dollars so I jumped all over that deal. The bad thing was that the back bearing on the Schwinn was broken & the front rim had a lot of rust build up on it. So I swapped out a few of my after market upgrades from the Mongoose & placed them on the Schwinn S-25 .

The Schwinn S-25 is much lighter than the Mongoose by 14lbs :love:

Just wanted to share this with you all.

I now needs to upgraded the Schwinn S-25 Stem, handlebar & grips. Any ideas? I want light weight and also to last a long time.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

3. nrgwar

nrgwar 9ONE6 Rider

That's what I was told I guess the Mongoose was around 40LBS and this new one is in the mid 20LBS I tried to weight it my self but I keep failing by using a home bathroom scale lol but from what I can see at him is that the the Bike is about 8LBS lighter.

4. Contra

Contra Offroad Junkie

is Mongoose not a very good bike?

5. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Hack could this be one of those bikes used for downhill racing that have to be as strong as a tank to survive what those guys put them through??

6. Industry_Hack

No, it's a $300 WalMart bike from Mongoose that had what could best be described as "LBS entry-level spec", but was an all-around failure. Too heavy for light trails and XC, and nowhere near durable enough for the kind of terrain a bike that heavy should be able to endure.

7. IHATEICECREAM

IHATEICECREAM New Member

lets see before and after pics

8. Contra

Contra Offroad Junkie

is Mongoose not a good brand anymore?

9. Industry_Hack

Pretty sure they still have some nice bikes. You just won't find them at WalMart for $300. Of course, I suspect that to stay afloat, they'll let someone put their sticker on a bike their designers never even saw.