Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok what is the difference between a moutain bike and a hybrid bike other than the tires and wheels?

It seems I remember hearing something about the suspension? but can't remember exaclty what it is
thanks

·
717 Posts
Nobody here bashes anybody so don't worry.

Don't know the exact difference but I'd guess that tires (knobbies vs smooth) and suspension make up the most difference between the two. Possibly frame geometry enters into it as the the Hybrid may have a longer wheelbase.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I bought a moutain bike only because it was brand new and only $50 on craigs list it still had the paper work zip tied to it. the woman had no idea what kind of bike it was. but I'm thinking when the time comes for me to actually get to pick out what I want in stead of just what I can afford I'm going to look to the hybrids.
and Thank you for your reply :)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Mom This is the exception on the net, and Dean deserves a great deal of credit for that. Here its the basher that gets bashed, not the rookie.

Not there are a number of difference between the purpose of the bikes. Mountain bikes are designed for trails and the rough ground. To make matters worse the combinations of mountain bikes are pretty varied. Most (but not all) have 26 inch wheels and can have a fairly wide range of tires, with the general rule of thumb is that a wider tire works better on soft ground, and narrow tires on hard pack or pavement. The geometry of the frame is set up so the rider has maximum control over the bumps. The gearing is often set up for climbing.

The hybrid is a different beast all together. It's mostly a road bike. It usually has road bike gearing. It is usually faster than a mountain bike. It mostly has road bike type of wheels, but its not really a road bike. The geometry of the frame is set up to have more of an upright and comfortable riding position. The road bike will be far more aerodynamic but that comes at the price of comfort. The hybrid can handle improved trails, (those that are paved or really hard packed dirt) but those narrow tires are hardly what you need if you are riding out in the woods. For many walking trails it will be fine, but if you like to follow game trails to see where the deer have been, the hybrid isn't the right ride, but on the road it will be faster than a mountain bike and more comfortable than a road bike.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Mom, I can't add to Mark's explanation, he covered it well, but wanted to say that we will not bash you around here. You're a beginner and the only way you're going to learn is to ask questions, so ask away :) We'll try our best help you out.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Mom I see you have a mountain bike, but if you ride mostly roads there is one thing you can do to make it better on roads. It's not that expensive and will make life far better on the roads. The 26 inch wheel has a number of options for tires. You want to change the tires and tubes to ones with the highest air pressure you can find. Higher tire pressure on a road means less rolling resistance. I have a slick tire I found for about $10 at performance bike that is 1.25 inches and can take 100 psi where most wide mountain bike tires can take about 60 psi. The lower pressure works well on dirt, in that it doesn't sink in loose sand. You can also find commuter tires that are 1.5 inches that are an improvement. Tubes should be in the $5 or so range, and they will need to be changed to match the tire.

If you do change them out, make sure you keep the tires that are on the bike now. IF you ever then want to ride a trail, just put those tires back on and you are good to go. I actually had two sets of wheels for a while, but it really wasn't that much better than changing the tires.

The main thing is to have fun.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I have a mountain bike and yes I was thinking of getting a second set of wheels and tires. a couple of weeks ago I had thought of going riding on some trails at one of the state parks yeah that was not happening I could not even ride up a hill on the pavement.. so we gave up and came home haha.. but as time goes by and I get better It would be nice to do some actual off road riding. at the moment as far as I go offf road is the grass between the side walk and the street lol

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well for now then you need the skinny tires with the high pressure. I wouldn't bother to buy an extra set of wheels. Been there done that. In my case the money would have been better spent on a road bike. A road bike for roads and a mountain bike for off roads, and gee I had to learn that the hard way grin. Swapping wheels required some other minor adjustments, so by the time I made them, I could have just changed tires. It was a good idea that just didn't work as well as I had hoped.

Just change the tires and tubes on the set of wheels you already have, and keep the ones that came off which are likely wider. I'm going to take a guess and say they are probably about 2.0 or 2.25 ish which are great from trails. If you get the chance to ride trails, just swap them back.

Be patient with yourself. We all have our hills, and mine has a name. Its another name for a female dog hill. Yes I climb it, and its gotten easier to get up it as I have ridden more. It also has one other thing that is often overlooked. It can be a great sense of satisfaction to get up that hill, and even more as you get up it easier and easier.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok other than wal mart where would be a good place to find tubes and tires to that won't cost me an arm and a leg? and I think I need my spokes adjusted but I've read that it is hard to do on cheaper bikes? and what would the ball park be to have my spokes adjusted yes it needs done but no clue what to do.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Walmart is usually the last place you want to go for bike stuff. Find a local bike shop. They should have all the accessories you need and should be able to tell you if you really need the spokes worked on. Outside of the tires and tubes, you might be better off to ride the bike as is.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok I know there are none here in town but I know there are a couple if I wanted to try to ride to the next town which I keep telling my self i'm going to do .. I did go to the town south of here that was my 30 mile trip I'm thinking if I go east of here I might make a 40 mile trip I don't think it is the distance I worry about it is the amount of time to make the ride I worry about as in I don't think I ride fast enough but I guess I would just have to stay above 8 mph for the entire 50 miles and I should not have a problem with that by september right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts