Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
That bike cost the equivalent of $437.94 in 2011 dollars. And yet, people still come in my store every day expecting to buy a new bike for $100.

For comparison, the modern equivalent of that bike sells for about $330. That's $39.90 in 1952 dollars. But people whine that bikes cost too much these days, and seek out cheap crap on the internet because bike shops are "raping" them.... *sigh*

To put it another way, that bike cost .6% of a family's income in 1952. The modern equivalent of that bike costs..... .6% of a family's income.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
If I know what the bike realy cost :eek:, I would know where to stop hagling :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well compare the price of computers in the 60s and the computers of today. The technology gets better and the price goes down. There are far more efficient ways to build a bike now, but the price is still about the same. Compare that to the fact that you still can buy a bike for $100 bucks, and yeah I know what department store bikes are like, but to the average joe that is brand new to cycling it looks expensive. To make things even worse to the uneducated, if you put the two bikes side by side, they would look very much alike.

The case you made is less about bikes, and more about the results of fiscal policy. You just proved that printing (or digitally creating new money) new money does absolutely nothing but make things cost more.

Yes you are going to hear bike owners whine, but what is the shop owner doing?? Then again a good whine among friends can be good for the soul.

·
173 Posts
It is also good way to compare how things have inflated . For some of us remember when
our D.C. leaders froze wages in the early '70s to let price products catch up with the wages.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well there were some wage and price freezes, but how that work out for you?? I remember it well and it stunk. The old Win buttons. Whip inflation now. Yet without Jimmy the incompetent Carter, we wouldn't have had Ronald Reagan

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Well there were some wage and price freezes, but how that work out for you?? I remember it well and it stunk. The old Win buttons. Whip inflation now. Yet without Jimmy the incompetent Carter, we wouldn't have had Ronald Reagan
Still need a like button here :)
This will have to do I guess :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts