Old farts reminiscing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rola643, Apr 2, 2011.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

I keep thinking about Slinkies for some reason....

2. Tedzo

Tedzo Who put that curb there?

What walks down stairs, alone or in pairs?
    It makes a slinkity sound.
    A spring, a spring, a marvelous thing.
    Everyone knows it's Slinkie.

The best present yet, to give or to get?
    The kids will all want to try.
    The hit of the day when you're ready to play.
    Everyone knows it's Slinkie.

It's Slinkie, it's Slinkie!
    For fun it's a wonderful toy!
    It's Slinkie, it's Slinkie!
    It's fun for a girl or a boy!
    It's fun for a girl or a boy!

Now try getting THAT song out of your head! Mmmwwwwaaahahahaha!

3. Garilia

Garilia New Member

+1 :thumbsup:

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

"Too cold" in VA is probably not that cold. Sure, I might need to wear a Cold Avenger to go outside, but 27 in Utah is still not "Too cold".

Tedzo - have you seen Lords of Dogtown?

5. Tedzo

@Hack: No, I haven't seen it. Am I going to need to get my skateboard out and watch it?

6. Industry_Hack

Definitely. Of course, it really depends on your age. I moved to SoCal in 1976, and I can tell you, Stacy Peralta nailed it in this movie. My older brother skated with those guys before they were anyone, and while some of the stories he told back then seemed a little far-fetched, to see them on film 30 or so years later was pretty cool.

Any how, there is a scene involving Slinky.

7. Tedzo

I was in high school at the end of the 70's and I was just mothballing my skateboard before I went to college when the 'boarding wave broke in Colorado. So I just missed it. Story of my life. My friend and I used to ride our American Fliers on the horse/hiking trails in the hills across the street from my house. We were crazy on our bikes. Then, later, some guys riding their bikes on trails in California were credited with "inventing" mountain biking. I don't think so. :cool:

8. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

California doesn't usually invent much of anything. They usually just put a name and a fancy shine on something people have been doing a long time, and then call it a trend and started there. We were riding our old 20 bikes with a banana seat and butterfly handlebars on the wooded trails and along the creeks in our area long before anyone ever thought of the term mountain bike. We jumped creeks and did wheelies.

And if you are old enough you remember someone trying to jump the fountain at Ceasers Palace. That would have been about 67 or 68ish. And mountain biking was invented in CA??

9. Industry_Hack

You'll like the movie.

I rode my BMX and my brother's 1977 Schwinn Traveler all over the mountains in SoCal until I finally got a real mountain bike in 1987. Suntour indexing thumb shifters, cantilever brakes, and a rigid fork. Still an improvement over the Schwinn.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  10. Garilia

Garilia New Member

Yup, I remember doing the exact same thing when I was like 9 or 10 years old in 69-70 ish in South Florida.

11. Tedzo

I loved my banana seat. I couldn't figure out why the other kids were going to those little ass-wedgie-thingy seats. :)

12. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

I loved the banana seat too. It was amazing just how comfortable and functional it could be. You could pop a wheelie on one of those, and the curve of the seat allowed you to shift your weight and still feel like you were in the seat. It was just a different part of the seat but you kept good balance. Made for a great creek and small jump bike if you used any sense at all. You could take that bike through brush a mule wouldn't go through, that is unless you had a fool sissy bar on the back. That was sure to get caught up in something, hit on a limb and the end result put you on the ground.

I never got one, but the Schwinn Sting Ray with the 5 speed and the gear shift handle that looked like a car gear shift that was mounted on the top tube was the envy of every kid in the neighborhood. That is until we saw him crash it once trying to follow us on the trail. We KNEW why the shift handle was banned. He cussed and we laughed for about 10 minutes while he was trying to get up. He walked the bike home, if you could call what he did walking.

13. Garilia

Garilia New Member

hehe, I was a bike snob back then. My first bike was bought used at the flea market, and we used to laugh at the "rich" kids who got brand new bikes.

14. Tedzo

I got one of these from a kid up the street after I broke the down tube off the steering tube on my old bike. It was heavy as hell but I threw it down every trail we could find. That was fun.

[​IMG]

15. Tedzo

Hey! We got our own thread! I haven't been booted from a thread for being off topic, ever. Time for a beer to celebrate! It's after noon, right?

I miss being on Chibi's thread though.

16. Tedzo

HA! It wasn't even her thread! It was Greenhorn's thread. I guess we were off topic before we got off topic!

17. Industry_Hack

Yeah, I just wanted to continue this discussion in a more appropriate place. I have a vintage Araya BMX wheelset, and I'm really wishing I could find an old school ride to restore. Willing to trade my 1974 R20 for a BMX.

18. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Look what happens...I leave for a little while and I get totally jacked :D That thread was a train wreck and Greenhorn wasn't even at the controls. I can't remember the first bike(s) I had. I do remember my dad being kinda mad at the skid marks in his driveway and wheelie contests and jumping that bent wheels.

I do remember the first bike I bought with my paper route money. Same color as this one. Schwinn Varsity

Attached Files:

19. Garilia

Garilia New Member

Well, now how can I keep up with chibi's bike exploits AND Slinky's?

20. Tedzo

Mine was powder blue.