Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've wanted to fix up my old mongoose for a while now. I don't ride BMX per se but I use it for transportation around campus mostly because I don't care if it gets rained on. This past year I got it back in working condition but now I want to basically strip it, replace parts, paint it and put it back together. I really want to do this to get more experience working on bikes just to help myself out in the future. So, hopefully with this thread I will 1. get help from everyone (i need it) 2. be able to keep on track with this project and not just toss it in the shed after 2 days.

So, I'm having a problem uploading the photo but right now it's a lime green mongoose whose name I forgot after I peeled the decals off when I was like 15. Currently it is in working order minus a seat post because that got so old it bent under my weight over time (I weigh like 160lbs.).

I'll have a pic up ASAP

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I got the picture to work. Turns out I just needed to add ".jpg" to the name to get it to upload properly.

I'd appreciate it if anyone had any info about where to find out what my bike was actually called and what year it was made in. I remember the decals had metallic blue writing, but I don't recall anything else...

I already have a few questions regarding disassembly. I'll post with pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, so much for keeping up with the pictures and progress haha...I'm finally done...for now. I learned a lot about painting, remembering how to assemble headsets, installing chains and running brakes. Definitely a valuable and rewarding experience. It's not perfect, but it's also intended to be left outside so I can hop on and get from class to class so decent is good enough haha

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, ive been thinking of making up my own little logo for the downtube. i figure it'll be a nice finishing touch and since its so wide and flat it'll come out nice. im just happy that I finally got it back together. i need to install some chain tensioners though...im paranoid about a repeat of an old crash i had when i popped the chain off...

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Nice rebuild - I'm considering selling one of my bikes to make room for a yard sale rebuild project over the winter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts