Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Old Phillips Bicycle

I bought this from a friend of mine 12 years ago hoping to restore it...

As far as I can tell, it's missing the seat and seat post, brake calipers, fenders, tires, and the chain. The wheel rims (I'm told) are original because they have the dimpled surface along the wheel perimeter for the brakes.

The frame is in very good condition with some spots showing light surface rust. The paint is peeling in some places and appears to have been brushed on! Underneath the silver paint is metallic green paint.

I do not have any in-depth knowledge of this bicycle's make, model or year of manufacture, but based on some research on the net, it seems like a pretty decent restoration project.

Can anyone tell me about it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I seem to have found some of the missing parts -- the seat and post, fenders, brake calipers and the chain guard...this is getting exciting!

Will post more photos once I get the parts sorted...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the fenders, seat and seat post, and the front brake caliper. Im planning to fabricate the chain guard myself... I've already started dismantling the bike to get the frame ready for paint stripping. Im thinking of painting the frame black with some cream accents like the rubber handles, the cables and the seat. Should go well with tires with the cream sidewalls... more later.

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
Can you tell what the original color was? I'm thinking a dark green or coffee color might provide a more vintage look. Maybe ivory rather than while accents too. Just some ideas, and know that I am not emotionally tied to them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you tell what the original color was? I'm thinking a dark green or coffee color might provide a more vintage look. Maybe ivory rather than while accents too. Just some ideas, and know that I am not emotionally tied to them. :thumbsup:
I'm not sure if the underlying metallic green paint is the bike's original color. Dark green or coffee would look cool.. maybe if i surf around for sample photos so I can visualize those colors... and you're right: ivory accents would be great as I am actually using the hand grips (which are well and truly ivory-colored!) as the basis for selecting the color accents...thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This evening, I took a small spatula to scape off some of the bike's peeling silver paint to check what the underlying paint was...the paint came off so easily that I just went on and on!

After an hour's work...

...done without a drop of paint stripper!

...and here's the paint!

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
With that much rust, what are you thinking of using for primer? Remember, prime, sand, prime. Will you be using a buffer before the first coat of primer? I'm thinking Rustoleum? I'll be anxious to hear from the experts here...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
With that much rust, what are you thinking of using for primer? Remember, prime, sand, prime. Will you be using a buffer before the first coat of primer? I'm thinking Rustoleum? I'll be anxious to hear from the experts here...

im going to use some paint stripper to remove the little bits of paint around the tight spots, then sand it down again with 240 grit. once im satisfied that all the paint is gone and the metal is as smooth as possible, ill apply rust converter (Turco), wait 24 hours and then sand it down again with 360 grit...then ill spray a light coat of zinc chromite primer and sand it down again with 360 grit and prime again...

what is rustoleum? is this a rust converter?

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
im going to use some paint stripper to remove the little bits of paint around the tight spots, then sand it down again with 240 grit. once im satisfied that all the paint is gone and the metal is as smooth as possible, ill apply rust converter (Turco), wait 24 hours and then sand it down again with 360 grit...then ill spray a light coat of zinc chromite primer and sand it down again with 360 grit and prime again...

what is rustoleum? is this a rust converter?
If any rust on it the rust converter won't fully stop it from attacking the metal but it does slow it down a lot. You can get it at any autoparts store or even wally world. It's a liquid you paint it on and it chemically changes the rust. Again it doesn't fully stop it but it helps. Looks like a fun bike project keep us updated will be watching this

·
Registered
33 Posts
That looks like a fine starting point . Phillips bikes were very nice . I had a Hiawatha that was built by them, and rode it as a workhorse bike , but it was too small, and I sold it. Happens alot with me and 3 speeds . Too much seatpost .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts