Old Retired Cranker

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Burr, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Hi,
    I’m a retired old guy a 67 year old diabetic. I lived in Ridgecrest, California for a lot of years then retired to The Philippines. I have been riding all my life but just got after it the last 20 years.

I married a retired Filipino banker a few years ago and we sold my business and retired to Bulacan in the Philippines. My wife consults with a local co-op 4 hours a day to keep her hand in.

We cycle together at times in a cemetery three times a week (she cuts across) I do 20 miles. I also lift three times a week and my wife has a female workout the she does plus we do Yoga.

Hope we can get a over 60 group going on the forum for us older guys.

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Welcome, Burr! How's the riding in the Phillipines? Pretty bike friendly there?

3. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Very, Very Dangerous. That’s why we ride in the cemetery.

Cars on the left side, right side, who cares, no law enforcement.

4. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

That's what I pictured it being like. Stay safe out there! Must be a big cemetary to get 20 miles in and not get too bored.

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I just read a really interesting article about a Team preparing for the Tour all which are diabetics. Team Type I I think it's called. They had some cool tools like a blood sugar machine that tells you real time so they can keep their levels perfect the whole ride.

6. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Thanks Dean,

That sounds interesting. I'm also type two.

With me it's DO OR DIE, I ride to live not live to ride. I monitor my sugar every other day. And it's hell keeping my count down but I have to.

When you do long rides you have to watch going to low on your sugar

7. dixie

dixie Guest

Good to have you aboard, Burr! What kind of bikes do you and wifey ride?

8. FrostByte

FrostByte New Member

Sounds like things haven't changed much since Clark closed. Happy biking and stay safe.
    FB

9. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Wife has a little 5 speed fat tire something. She doesn't go far or fast but she does come out with me "st times".

10. Jenjabread

Jenjabread Guest

Tired and Re-Tired!
    Welcome Burr! Have you heard of Fat Tire Ale?

11. bikerider

bikerider Guest

12. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

From what I rember You nead a snorkal during Monsoon season and them Jepneys will run you over in a hart beat. Philippines 196o

13. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Philippines, any problems with the Typhoon? welcome to two-spoke from another old man, although I'm only 56.
    DrB

14. kevinh

kevinh Guest

Hey Burr, there's definitely a trick to riding with diabetes. I'm still trying to work it out! Every ride/day is different so any plan I come up with ends up only being a template. Do you take drink and food with you, or just plan around the start and finish?

15. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Doc, what's this old crap?

You are what you think you are. 56 and calling yourself old!

Get up, get going and live.

I'm not getting older, I'm getting better.
    What I use to do all night it takes all night to do but,
    it's a lot more fun.

Big, Lean, Mean and Clean
    I'll be lifting until they pry the
    bar from my cold dead hands
    Adventure before Dementia

Now come on Doc. lets go.

16. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Kevinh,
    You have done the hardest part, admitting that you are a diabetic. I have been a diabetic for about 15 –20 years and I work very hard to live with it. If it taste good you can’t have it. (Joke)

I’m replying on tread incase there are other diabetics that may be interested.

You didn’t put a lot of info in your profile but from the picture you look a little like me, a little over weight. I have tried all the diets and that’s crap!

Here’s what I do as to a weeks workout and I’ll be glad to share all the info I have with you if you let me know.

I “TRY” to lift three days a week and cycle three days a week. I check my BP, sugar and pulse three times a week. I wear a heart rate monitor when I cycle and try to keep with in a set range. (120-145)
    I drink Gatorade cut half with water; I freeze it then have a cold drink as I ride or lift. Be sure to drink before you are thirsty. This will keep you electrolytes balanced. (And it taste good)

I work very hard to keep my sugar around 120, the harder I workout the lower my BP is (110-120x56-62) with a pulse of about 56.

Wear a Helmet at all times

17. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Burr, was just kidding, mentally I'm 12, I have 10 fingers and 2 feet, only can count to 12 so I stopped therev:).

As I said, I'm a reformed runner(sub 2:30 marathoner) but it got 2 hard on the body, now I'm working up to 20+ mph over 20, getting close, but man it is a lot different than running, but in all fairness, I can't run for s**t now.

DrB

18. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

I almost can't walk, I have football knees and Diabetic feet so I cycle.

I think I'm 32 in my mind but 67 in real life.

Just thank God I'm not sick, I can do most anything and enjoy it, even walking in the Mall if I take it easy.

What kind of Doc are you?

19. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

I been pretty lucky, been thin all my life, so wheels are still sound. Genetics got me this far, now I have to work at it. I feel REALLY lucky to have everything intact.

DrB

20. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Sorry, Burr, missed the question, I'm a Dentist
    DrB