Old School Frames

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by conquistador, Jul 20, 2009.

1. conquistador

conquistador Guest

What's everyone's opinion on who made the best old school frame for BMX from the 70's to early 90's? Any information on ones you still use or have held up really well over the years would be appreciated.

2. Brian P

Brian P New Member

i currently race on a hutch hollywood and my street/park/flat bike is a 86 gt pro performer...

i cruise the neighborhood and hit some singletrack now and again on a hutch XL24

3. yewhi

yewhi New Member

I have a personal favorite, but...

[​IMG]

4. nachos

nachos Guest

What frame is that?

5. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Only a 44t chainring???:confused:

6. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

Thruster frames are the best.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  7. yewhi

yewhi New Member

It's an LRV (Leisure Recreational Vehicles) circa 1979. They went out of business around that time (79-80). Chuck? Robinson was a part of LRV prior to starting his own company.

This is a personal and sentamental favorite and is current residing in bubble wrap until I get the right parts put together. As for the chain ring and crankset, it came with the frame and will likely be swapped out in favor of something else.

TCN

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  8. sausagetree

sausagetree Guest

Are diamondbacks considered to be old enough?

9. Brian P

Brian P New Member

diamondbacks came out in the early 80's. so yes they are old school. however there are alot of 90's and newer DB's around

10. Doomy

Doomy Guest

Are the older frames necessarily better?

You know the old phrase they don't make em' like they used to...

Are the newer ones built from cheaper material to increase profits or are they made from more "advanced" materials to make them stronger/lighter?

11. brent15

brent15 Guest

Thruster frames are the best.

12. Cycle

Cycle Guest

Old school weight is nice. I like momentum.

13. oldshoolelf

oldshoolelf Guest

Perfect frame types

It depends on the type of riding you are doing. for jumps a TNT Fongdaddy but they are heavy do to the fact that they are built for jumping. They came in aluminum but I dont see why aluminum is not the best thing for jumping. If you are racing you should use a Hawk F20 but they are VERY hard to find and pricey I have two of them. Or you could use a Robinson my is great. Another good race frame that some people like is the SE PK Ripper but I think they ride fuuny I just do not like the head tube angle. If you are riding flatland a GT Vertigo is good to use they were not to long so they were easy to control with flatland tricks. Also the Haro flatland frames were great like the Haro Master and Haro sport, Just remember flatland frames should always have surf bars under the seat.The Haros were a little long so tail whips are easy. I have a Perigrine leCraige.

14. oldshoolelf

oldshoolelf Guest

Elf

And always remember Elf