Old Trek

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by goldentouch, Mar 3, 2010.

1. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

I bought an old Trek off Ebay and it is a steel frame. The serial number is T2KB75269 With a 7 just under the 9. I can't find anything on serial numbers. Is there a place I can go to find out what it is. I asked a bike shop and they said probably late 70's early 80's. It has a newer seat. 21 gears. Mountain bike handle bars and 700 tires and wheels. By this I think someone customized it over the years for their self. Thanks for any help you can give.

2. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

This is an awesome Trek website that should answer all your questions:

Vintage Trek Bikes- Information on Steel Road Bicycles made by the Trek Bicycle Corporation, bike

Can you post some photos?

Scott

3. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

This is a good site but my numbers didn't match up. I have too may numbers but they added addition numbers when they repainted an older bike so that could account for the numbers. The combination of letters and numbers doesn't match. The frame shows to be repainted with maybe spray can and not very good. I can see a plum color on the bottom where they didn't turn the bike over and paint. The rest is gloss black and a poor job. I will have to do a lot of cleaning before I start putting it together. I don't need it to ride just an interesting project.

4. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

Sounds like the Trek reached a good home to save it from further abuse. Where you able to find any date codes on the left over components? Although it sounds like they're probably not original. Photos will help.

Scott

5. lotek

lotek New Member

Goldentouch,

Thinking that the serial numbers might be difficult to read due to being partially filled
    with paint etc. what I would do is take a piece of paper and place it on BB over the
    serial number, then rub the paper with the side of a pencil point (like making a rubbing)
    and see if you can 'lift' the number off.
    Barring that if we make the following assumptions about what the serial number may actually be: I2K875269 I=730, 2=21 inch frame, K=Nov serialization and 8 would denote
    1978. the 75269 would be number in series. As for the additional numers from the Vintage
    Trek site: When a Trek frame was repainted by Trek, an additional set of numerals was often stamped into the bottom bracket to indicate the frame was repainted. These numbers were usually four digits, in the form NNNN.

Send an email with the serial numbers to Skip at Vintage Trek, and description of decals and any photos. He is more than helpful.

marty

6. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

Thanks Marty, now this is a helpful post!!!

Scott

7. ScottRyder

ScottRyder New Member

Sorry, that sounded sarcastic! No really, good info here, I never knew about the change of serial numbers after a repaint.

Scott

8. goldentouch

goldentouch New Member

I have it with one of my bike guys to put it together and see what is wrong or needs replacing.

The number I found was raised instead of indented. I am going to try and remove some of the paint and check the bike for other numbers.

I will give an update if anything else comes up. I will try and post a picture of it also.