Oly Rider

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bradsalex, Mar 18, 2011.

1. bradsalex

bradsalex New Member

Hello Everyone,

I would like to say hi to this cycling world that I have discovered. I am in the military and I am currently stationed in Cuba but will be going back to Olympia, Washington after I'm done here.

I enjoy cycling and sort of fell in love with it ever since training for and completing the America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride in Lake Tahoe. I did that to raise money for the Leukimia & Lymphoma Society while I was stationed in the National Capitol Region.

Right now I am training for a sprint triathlon here in Cuba but I really want to train and work my way into the amature racing circut and obtain a license through the USACA.

But I'm here to have fun and meet people and hopefully get some rides going.

Brad

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Great to have you, Brad! What exactly is a sprint triathlon?

3. bradsalex

bradsalex New Member

Xela,

A sprint triathlon is a very short version of the triathlon. Where as you have your Iron Man, Half-Iron Man, and three different Olympic distances, there is also shorter ones like the Sprint, Novice, Super Sprint, and even kids level triathlons. The Triathlon Wiki page shows all of the distances in a table format.

Brad

4. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Welcome Brad! That should be a nice transition from the Cuban weather to Washington weather. What's the chances of bringing a few Cohiba's back? (j/k)

5. bradsalex

bradsalex New Member

Well rola, I'd love to say that I could bring some authentic Cubans back but we are restricted to the base, we can't go into "real" Cuba... due to the fact that it's a communist country and all, you know, the little things...

But as far as the weather, yes, I much rather be in Washington or even Maine where I grew up. I hate the heat, I'd rather it be -25 then 90, you can always put more clothes on.

Brad

6. Grenouille

Grenouille Grenouille

Another Welcome !

Is Gitmo big enough to cycle in?

7. IndianBikes

IndianBikes New Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.

8. bradsalex

bradsalex New Member

Don't know what happened here... delete this one.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  9. bradsalex

bradsalex New Member

GTMO is pretty good size. I'd say from one end to the other is only about 10 miles, but there are plenty of side roads to explore, you just have to pay attention to where your going. They get mad if you go in certain places... there is a hill called Windmill Hill that is horrible to climb. I almost cried last time I climbed it on the bike. It was horrible. But if you wanted to do anything over about 25 miles you'd be circling around and riding on roads that you'd already hit.

Brad

10. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Hi .... .. From the tired old man in the Swamp

11. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Welcome to our site!