One by nine crank question.

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by HandsomeRyan, Nov 17, 2009.

1. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

If I wanted to build up a One-by-nine drivetrain bike for road use can I use a standard SS/track crankset with a correctly sized BB or do I need a special crankset that will allow me to use the plastic discs on each side to hold the chain in place?

I'm thinking about picking up a Nashbar Cyclocross frame to build into a 1x9er and I have an IRO crankset in my parts box that I can use if it will work.

Also- any recommendations on what derailleur/shifter to use? I've heard good things about SRAM X.9 but I'm open to suggestions.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

No idea on the cranks, but definitely go with the SRAM. I used one on my tandem, and even with the massive cable run, it shifted flawlessly.

3. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

No special crankset necessary. You can even use a triple crank with only one ring.

4. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Use whatever crank you like, and YES -- SRAM X.9 ROCKS! I've been running X.9 for three years now, replaced cables last year, and the only shifts I miss are my own fault (absentmindedly half-pushing the downshift lever).

I'm looking at an SS buildup over the winter, and will use an old Octalink XT crank with one ring and shorter ring bolts.