One incredible metric

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by rola643, Mar 10, 2011.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

All I can say is give this article a read! As a side not there is a tidbit of interesting info at the bottom as well!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  2. chibibike

chibibike Banned

Interested stuff at the bottom. Do you think it'll ever be the law to have a license plate or at least get bikes registered? Do they do that in china? I wouldn't mind it, i can see why it would be a good thing.

3. rola643

Chi, I don't see how licensing and registration could ever be a good thing for us as cyclists. It's kinda like the Rights vs Privileges thing. A privilege, like being licensed by the state, can be taken away in an instant. A right, like my right to movement/travel, is a bit harder to restrict. IMHO cycling should remain a right and not a privilege. I know there is another argument to be made about taxes and cyclist "right" to use the road but....

Is there a particular reason that would make you believe licensing a bicycle would be good and serve a real purpose? Just curious. I tend to look at things with blinders on sometimes.

http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f39/update-ny-nj-bike-licensing-bills-withdrawn-5630/

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

My son's school - UCCS, requires students to register their bike with the school. Beyond that, bike registration is such a bad idea, you'd have to be incredibly short-sighted to even consider it.

5. rola643

What's the purpose on campus, theft? Or when it gets left at the end of the school year who they can bill for disposal? A local school here (William & Mary) has great actions every spring :D

6. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well it can be for one of two reasons. One is to keep up with which ones might belong and which ones don't. The more likely reason is revenue. Unlike most organizations a college or university probably has the personnel to handle it. Getting the few bucks for the registration is nice, but that's not where the real money is in this deal. The real money is in the tickets they can write now for parking them in a spot that they don't want, riding offenses like against traffic ect. One place I actually heard had something like a boot they could put on a bike, you guessed it till they got the registration sticker. Unlike many situations, a college has you. You don't get your credits and grades unless you pay your bills, including the fines. (library, books, parking tickets, and of course your bike registration bill and or fines and tickets.)

7. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

i would have to be hauled to jail and imprisoned for life if required to register or plate my bikes. never going to be done by me.... next thing we would be required to have a license to walk. i am not a very political person but requirement to register a bicycle is an act of communism.