Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One year ago today I went for a long overdue physical. The physical didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. I knew I was overweight. I knew (or at least highly suspected) my blood pressure was too high. I suspected my cholesterol was high and due to genetics I was pretty sure my blood sugar was a little sweeter than it should be. Having the doctor look me in the eye and tell me that if I didn't make some drastic changes in my life, the next time we met would probably be under much worse circumstances... that got my attention.

One year ago today I embarked on a journey to regain my health. That evening I walked two laps around my neighborhood. Whew... that wore me out. But I walked every evening. In the cold, in the rain, in the snow. Walking soon turned into jogging and as Spring rolled around I started looking at the bikes zoom by me on the walking/bike path. Then it dawned on me that I still had my old REI mountain bike in the basement.

On March 12th I took my first ride on my old MTB (8 miles). On that first ride, I was once again hooked on riding. The rest of my journey (at least the parts worth mentioning) have been chronicled on the pages of TwoSpoke.

This past year I've pushed myself so hard that I've wrecked at the end because I was too exhausted to unclip. I'd had countless personal bests, I've bonked and I've thrown up once or twice... all the while having the time of my life.

As I look to 2012, I'm not sure how I can top this past year, but It's going to be fun trying :)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Damn, Poolie. I had no idea you came so far in just one year. Inspiring. My New Year's resolution to get checked out again, because I think I have been told that I have these same problems. I sort of ignored it. The primary concern that led me to seek the initial consultation turned out to be a symptom of colon cancer and I got that sorted out but I forgot to deal with the other stuff.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Way to go Poolie. I have seen first hand way too many be told the same thing and never change. For some it's too late, fortunately for you AND your family it was not.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Matt, I've become the proverbial ex-smoker. I'll tell anyone that will listen to me the great benefits of owning a bike. The guys at work just roll their eyes and call me a f*** nut-job :)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Lol!!! Welcome to the club bro!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Matt, I've become the proverbial ex-smoker. I'll tell anyone that will listen to me the great benefits of owning a bike. The guys at work just roll their eyes and call me a f*** nut-job :)
The best thing you can do is lead by example. At 54 I have commuted to every job I have had by bike. Yes most of my fellow employees thought I was crazy but a few got the point and started riding as well. One thing I always try to do is down play bike commuting, saying it is no big deal and that anyone can do it. Which really is or should be the truth.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn, Poolie. I had no idea you came so far in just one year. Inspiring. My New Year's resolution to get checked out again, because I think I have been told that I have these same problems. I sort of ignored it. The primary concern that led me to seek the initial consultation turned out to be a symptom of colon cancer and I got that sorted out but I forgot to deal with the other stuff.
Get it checked man. It was easy and I have no idea why I kept putting it off. A couple vials of blood and they can tell everything you cared to know about yourself.

Over the course of the year I have my blood pressure, resting heart rate, cholesterol and blood sugar all back into normal (or better) ranges. Only my triglyceride level still needs work and that's my diet. Working on that now.

·
Two skinny J's
21,452 Posts
The smell of smoke coming from a car as it passes when you are riding is the most sickening smell there is...yet at times after dinner a nice Marlboro Light would really hit the spot :) Oct 19, 2007 my Dads birthday and the last cigarette I will ever smoke! It amazes me how stooooopid people look when they have a smoke hanging from their mouth!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts