Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No idea why this popped into my head, but was just wondering what it is that makes you stop being a beginner rider? Is it mileage, number of months? Or do you simply decree yourself no longer a beginner when you feel like it?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Some people have 30 years experience, and some people have 1 year repeated 30 times.

·
Two skinny J's
21,204 Posts
When you know the basics and feel comfotable with what you are doing and it takes no real thought?

·
Bent Newbie - old rider
144 Posts
I try to always have something at which I am a beginner - it keeps me young.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When do you stop being a beginner?.

The day you figure out all your biking advice comes from people who own $2000 bikes, $400 sun glasses, and you never see them outside of "The Cool" coffee shops.

Not thats there anything wrong with a $2000 bicycle!. I think you know the crowd I'm getting at..

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
When you take your riding seriously and not look like a drugstore racer, not saying you have to race to be serious but don't play the part of something your not. Look, just because can you spend $7k on a bike and wear $400 sunglasses doesn't make you a real rider any more then sitting in a $5m Formula 1 race car makes you race car driver. You can be a serious rider on a $500 bike, it's not about the money spent, it's about how well you ride. There are 80 year old guys riding the Alps on old 50's era 3 speed bikes...those guys are serious...it's not about the bike it's about you.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well actually with enough money, almost anyone can buy there way into being a race car driver. Are they serious race car drivers? Well maybe but that doesn't make them any good. I'd like to think I will always be a beginner at some aspect of cycling. Its the wonder of learning something new that keeps me going. Most things in life have one thing in common. When you think you know everything there is to know about something, its usually time to quit. You are about to get hurt bad.

As far as the race car driver, I can think of one woman that was so slow in Indy the series often pulled her off the track to get her out of the way. She was just too slow and a hazard, but she brought money. In sport cars she was actually a member of a race winning team, but only because the team was smart enough to let her in the car as little as possible. She did compete in auto racing, but I think most people would say she was no race car driver. The trivia question is who is the lady race car driver. The hint is Krispy Kreme.

Beginner to me is a relative term. Many here are very experienced cyclist, but when you compare your experience to that of say George Hincappie just how many of us would still be considered experienced?

·
Registered
94 Posts
The fast pace that new equipment and technology is applied to cycling pretty much makes everyone a newbie in some form or another. I finally gave up the pursuit of the perfect ride and now just ride what I brought. That ah-ha moment took me out of the newbie range since I now enjoy riding for the sake of riding.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,507 Posts
When you don't care whether internet people see you as a noob or not.

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
When you don't care whether internet people see you as a noob or not.

Yeah that's about it. Or for that matter when you don't care what offliners think of you or your equipment and you just get out to enjoy the ride.

Been riding myself off and on for a good 20 plus years nor I don't consider myself a beginner anymore though never really worried that I was. Being on a bike has always been natural to me since the first time I sat on one

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,507 Posts
Hi Mark! Shall we pray?

God grant me the wisdom
to accept the things that are spandex;
courage to change the things that are wool;
and wisdom to know the difference.

·
Two skinny J's
21,204 Posts
Hi Mark! Shall we pray?

God grant me the wisdom
to accept the things that are spandex;
courage to change the things that are wool;
and wisdom to know the difference.
And they all said "Amen"

·
242 Posts
well I have no money and I ride all the time but have no idea what i'm doing .. shoot i can't even change a tire. but FYI I can't change a tire or air one up on a car either.
I think until I can ride as far as i want when ever I want and not worry about being stuck in the middle of no where I'll be a beginner .. I 'll let ya know how that works out and also.. we never made it to mexico .. going to try again for May 5th.. :)

·
242 Posts
So after reading over some of the threads in other parts of this forum I have come to the conclusion that as long as I have NO IDEA what most of the conversations are about I am and will be a beginner for some time. I have no idea what one brand of bike from another is and just because I read a manufacturer name on a page in no way means that if it was setting in front of me i'd have a clue how to tell it from any other short of actually reading the name plate. and I had no idea that there was such a variety of different types of bikes or even the type of tires made a difference. I've learned a lot but still clueless in so many ways. I have no idea about different gears and wheels and spokes. I know I look at my bike before riding to make sure the tires and chain and handle bars are in working order and will check the breaks as I leave the drive way and normally check the gears and shifter as I head to the end of the block. other than that I'm CLUELESS but am learning.:)
I was reading on a bike shop web page earlier and it listed some of the items it carries and I had no idea what 99% of them were.. so yes I am and will be a beginner for a long time I think :)

·
173 Posts
Don't feel you are the only one mom_of_3_ts. Last rode 50yr. ago English 3 speed were
cat's meow & I rode single speed. Stared back learning to ride last year, again, and
education began, K, haven't made it past that! He!he!

·
242 Posts
Don't feel you are the only one mom_of_3_ts. Last rode 50yr. ago English 3 speed were
cat's meow & I rode single speed. Stared back learning to ride last year, again, and
education began, K, haven't made it past that! He!he![/QUOT

Oh good!! I feel so much better :D I started back Memorial day weekend. had not rode in about 23 years give or take ...

1 - 20 of 66 Posts