Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new poster here. I have been riding eggbeaters on my road setup for quite some time now. I really like them for general all purpose riding, but this past weekend i went for my first 90 miler with the University bike team. Had no real problems keeping up but realized i want some pedal with a bigger surface area. I'm getting road shoes with a 3 bolt pattern for a good price, and i was wondering what type of cleats and pedals i should get with them. I know a lot of people that ride spd-sl cleats and like them. I also know people who swear by their speedplays. I also was wondering what the 3 bolt cleat pattern allows in terms of pedal options. Any feedback is much appreciated, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've only ever used shimano spd, look delta and look keo pedals so don't have a wide pool of experience to draw on.

I'm very happy with the looks and haven't found it necessary to try anything else. They work well and have never caused discomfort on long or short rides.

Their only drawback is that if you're riding in the city and have to put your foot on the tarmac regularly, the cleats don't last very long.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm riding Time (can't remember the model number - from a couple of years ago). They work perfectly. Better than Shimano or Look? I doubt it, but they work great and were very light for the price I paid.

That said, I rode road for years with SPD pedals and MTB shoes. The new combo (road shoes and pedals) is lighter and more comfortable, but that probably has more to do with the quality of shoe than the platform. I never had a problem with the MTB shoes and pedals. The only reason I switched was to try something different.

·
Drink plenty of water!!!
328 Posts
I was a LOOK delta man for years and years but I was often bugged by the creaking noises that they often made. I hate bike noise! I finally got so fed up I decided to try a different pedal. I asked a lot of my fellow clubbies what they had and I got recommended to try the LOOK KéO. I was sceptical to buy LOOK again but I did it. I got the Carbon (not with titanium axels) and now after 2 full seasons I am way more that satisfied. I can recommend them without problem. The less expensive models have 1 less set of bearings so I cannot say how well they hold up.

·
Bike New England
12 Posts
I wear light mountain bike shoes on my road bike so I can walk normally. Shimano SPD pedals last forever, and the cleats are simply a piece of steel, not a complex mechanism that will wear out or get clogged up like in Speedplays.

Gordon Harris
www.bikenewengland.com

·
Cycling for life
211 Posts
We are new to clipless. I have about five hundred miles on Time (not carbon) and find them easy to use. My wife is using the Shimano 105 and they seem to be very durable.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'll throw my 2 cents in here. Let me start by saying that I know next to nothing compared to the regulars in this forum, but with that being said, my first, and only set of clipless pedals are Speedplay FROGS. I use them on my road bike, even though they are mainly used for MTB riding, and I love them. I bought them because I wanted to wear walkable shoes and they had the most float of any pedal I researched. They are very easy to get in to and out of. I have about 600 miles on them and have had no problems at all with them. Can't say if there better, or worse than the others mentioned here, but I'm happy with them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts