Ordered new bike! Wait is killing me!

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Skidmark, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

My lovely bride of twenty nine years asked if I wanted to stop by the LBS on our "date night" on Friday evening. After riding a Specialized Globe Vienna, Jamis, and a Specialized Cross Trail Sport (I loved it) three times she ordered one for me! They make it in several styles. I wanted to be able to lock out the front spspension and those are not out just yet. Im like a kid now and just cant wait. The cool thing about ordering was I got to pick the color.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I guess by now you know that she's a keeper! Post pics of the bike when it arrives.

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Lucky you. I bought a new one at a garage sale for fifty bucks and the wife asked if I really needed another bike. arghhhh... yes!

4. xjken99

xjken99 New Member

Congrats on the new ride.

Back at the beginning of August my wife stopped at the LBS unanounced because she wanted to look at some new bikes. After about a half hour and three test rides she picked out a new one. She turned to me and asked if I was going to get one. My wife can be somewhat of a spur of the moment shopper and since we really have not riden the bikes we have much in the past ten years I was none to sure. I decided to test a few and before I knew it we both had new bikes. Even though it was here idea I have gotten into riding more than her, I even dug the old Schwinn out of the shed and fixed it up. Now I have two bikes.

5. Skidmark

Thats awesome you are getting back into it. I ride more than my wife as well due to work schedules. Now my daughter joines us most of the time as well. Its become more than a fitness thing that was the origional intention. Pretty darn good family time as well as getting around to see the neighborhood. Hoping to get delivery on the new bike by the end of this month.

6. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Excellent! So what was the occasion?

7. Skidmark

No special occasion that I know of.

It finally arrived! I came home from SD with H1N1 and am a bit under the weather. Could not stand it so I put the first twenty miles on it anyway. I am thrilled the way it eats un-even pavment, gravel, grass etc.

Attached Files:

8. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Congrats Skidmark! Feels like Christmas right?

9. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Some cool frame geometry. Does the bottom tube get skinner?

10. Skidmark

Yes! Exactly like Christmas. Rode it again this afternoon working out seat adjustments. I really like it.

Dean, no it does not. Thats a optical conclusion! The tubes are not round but rather oblong. That bottom tube starts at the top with the oblong part vertical then changes to horzontal on the bottom. The only round tube on the bike is the handle bars.

11. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

Nice looking ride, skidmark. Very sleek and clean lines. Believe it or not, first thing I notice they have the rear brake cable running along the bottom of the top tube. Mine running along the top has always bugged me. Specially when it comes to transporting the bike. The vertical holder on my rack always smashes the cable to the frame. Minor annoyance, I know, still bug's me.

12. Skidmark

Thanks for the kind words. I have been riding less than six months and still on the up hill side of the learning curve. This bike is the first that I have been on that fit me. After we ordered it all I could do was wonder if I had made the right decision as there are so many choices and so many styles of riding. I am thrilled to say that the more I ride it the more I like it. My only complaint is my backside gets sore after and hour on the seat. That could be my fault because I was on back to back vacations and did not ride much for three weeks. I am also still working out the seat hight, fore / aft adjustments. Our bike carrier has plastic sliders the bike rests on with velcro straps over the top. Those sliders have a grove for the brake cable. Its the minor details things that bug me as well.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  13. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

Know what you mean about personalizing your ride. I do the same. Non-stop. Drives the wife nutz. She's always pointing out this interesting shaped house, that pretty tree..etc etc etc. And here I'm checking out this position, that angle, tires, brakes.. etc etc etc. Only had this thing for few months and already changed out the seat, tires, brakes..well..you know how it is.:D:thumbsup:

14. smgordo13

smgordo13 New Member

I am sop glad I stumbled into this thread.

My girlfriend and I just started riding. I wanted a road bike she wanted a cruiser but we wanted to ride together also. We ended up settling on hybrids. I had never hear of a hybrid before.
    We have a horrible habit of starting something new and then 2-3 months later giving it up so we decided to shop CL and get cheaper used bikes 1st to prove that we would use them. In Aug, if we are still riding (which we will be), we agreed to buy new.
    I was pointed to the Crosstrail and my GF was pointed toward the Specialized Ariel, which I guess is the womens Crosstrail? Anyway we tested a couple out and loved them. I cannot wait for Aug to get the new bikes ordered.
    Thanks for posting about your new ride so I could learn a bit!

15. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

Welcome to Fray:):thumbsup:

Sounds like you will undoubtedly still be riding by your deadline. All the encouragement in the world can't sway a person if he/she are absolutely done with something once stared. Many things can happen. Money, job, time, relatives, momentary monkey butt. All you can do is....Just DOOOoooooIITTtttt!!:D:thumbsup:

16. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Nice bike,:thumbsup: ride it till the wheels fall off :D

17. Saugus18

Saugus18 Specialized Crosstrail

Hey Skidmark... I've read some of your posts about your Crosstrail and couldn't agree with you more about the bike. After much researching and test riding hybrid type bikes I knew the Crosstrail was the one for me the first 100 yards of test riding it. Sometimes once I start riding it I can't get off the damn thing! I did get a different seat, Ergon grips and thinner road type tires and she rides great. Here's a pic of mine.

[​IMG]

18. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff