Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well sometimes the choice is pretty easy. If its all rusted, if its not restored its trash. Other times its easy in the other direction. The bike really doesn't have anything wrong with it. Maybe a few minor scratches, but all it may need is the usual maintenance stuff. Tires, brakes, and a good cleaning, but the bike was fully functional and could be pleasantly ridden just as it was.

It's that middle ground that is the issue. It has enough in the way of scratches that sooner or later rust or corrosion is definitely going to be a problem. Like old cars they are only original once, but at some point unless they are restored they can not be enjoyed.

I am curious at what factors other use to make that decision. Also be interested to know where you find things like stickers, emblems and decals for bikes to take them back to as close to original as possible.

Now that doesn't mean I am not going to do something wacky once in a while. I'm about to do that as soon as the shop is done. Anyone else remember the old pedal car known as the Scat car?? Think AMF built it. I had a blast with on at my cousins and I am about to try to build one for a friend of mine's 6 year old. Yet for the most part an old bike should stay an old bike and not have flames unless it came with them from the box. :D

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Safety, relative value, and emotional attachment.

The first two are intertwined. Is it safe to ride as-is, and if not, is it economical to resolve the safety issue? Unless we're talking rare or expensive bikes, restoring is rarely a cost-effective proposition. But that shouldn't stop anyone from restoring a bike that has sentimental value either.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just wish there was some reference out there for what is rare and what isn't and some basic guidelines of value. I have found no where that a book or website provides information on bike A in good condition is worth about X and in rough shape worth about Y.

Without that its all a shot in the dark. You can usually see some evidence of build quality, but if its all rusted an scratch up it may not be as easy to see as one would think. The only test I have is have I heard of it before.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Really good questions .. tough to answer simply. There is no book, no website really that gives a definitive answer. This forum is a good place to start, lot's of members willing to help.

It's pretty rare that I would repaint a bike frame unless it's condition becomes a safety issue with too much rust. Other than that, clean, wax and continue to enjoy.

Scott

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Collectors I know are one thing. There is also a rattle can paint job. I have a compressor and a real spray gun. Though I am not ready to paint a car to send to Barrett Jackson, for a bike I don't totally suck either.

Some I am going to repaint anyway. Probably be cheaper and easier to go get another bike, but I for some you do because you want to not because its smart.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
What about stripping the paint, I have a blasting cabinet but thaught striper might be easyer. I have an airbrush to reaply it. I can set my airbrusd fo a 1" wide spray.

·
717 Posts
there is a price guide on this one...OldRoads.com

^^^ Way to go, I just wasted about 45 minutes when I should have been hard at work!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hack that's a great website, in the class with Sheldons. Yet I am looking for something more than ebay ads or a search of craigslist. Why?? because I am looking for something that is consistent. I see a lot of great information on Velobase, but nothing on values or rarity of the bike. There is usually quite a bit about the mechanical workings of the bike, which is a big help and good to know. Unless I missed it somewhere, it doesn't solve my problem.

I tried the oldroads.com search on their used and vintage bikes. I used my Fuji Newest 3.0 since its used and I was thinking of selling it. I don't ride it much anymore thanks to knees, and the Sunray but its a nice bike thats only a couple of years old. What I found was that it searched online ads with a lot of craigslist ads. Most of the ads were wanting $400 to $450 when I paid just under $500 when I bought it. (model year clearance) Will they get someone to pay that?? Maybe if they wait long enough. The other ad that was posted at $300 might be a bit low. That's the problem. Any book will be an estimate, but ads just do not seem to be working for me for a lot of reasons.

Compounding the problem is that if its truly a rare bike there are few of them out for sale. That usually makes pricing harder. Has to be something out there.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True and condition affects that greatly. Yet so do many other things and those other things. Would you dump $50,000 in an old car on a car lot with a engine that needs a rebuild? Depends. If its an original Selby Cobra, in a split second. A Yugo??? I don't think so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts