Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well folks....it aint looking good. A few weeks ago I started having some semi-serious pain in my legs and finally gave in and made an apt with my doctor. It was really strange to me but in my right leg it started in my lower back and wrapped around the front of my quad and had the sensation of being asleep. It would get to the point I would have to sit down after only standing 10 or 15 minutes which isn't good being a lineman working in a bucket all day. Doctor said that one was arthritis in the L3...really? Well I broke my hip racing moto cross years ago so no great surprise I guess.

The second and probably the more painful of the two was in my left leg around my ankle. A little history, back in May of 2000 I burned a pole from 28 ft in the air and hit the ground rather hard. Snapped my left tibia(compound brake that required a skin graft to cover the hole made as the bone ripped through skin, lovely hu?) like a pretzel and smashed the bones in my right foot. It was a great time since they could not put a cast on my left leg and I couldn't walk for a couple of months, my poor wife! It was literally like having another child in the house as I really couldn't do anything!

Anyway when I saw the Doc last weeek she ordered x-rays on my left leg and they saw that I had two fractures, one healed and the other mostly healed as they said. The HUGE problem here was the fact they told me I had a fracture of the rod on my left leg ( runs from my knee to my ankle ). I had to ask her exactly what she meant by that and she said you broke the rod! I was like how is that possible? Anyway I am off to see an orthopedic surgeon today and feeling somewhat apprehensive about the outcome. I really don't want to be down and out for any lenght of time and this whole deal has really screwed up my winter training plans and for that fact my goals for next year. If this turns out that they have to completly remove this rod I can see some not so good time coming in the near future. Gonna try and put anything off until January if it is at all possible

So what do I want for Christmas ? To be up and walking and not laid up and out of work!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Yesterday I was telling my wife about you breaking the rod in your leg and she was like, "How the h#ll do you do that?" I'm conjuring up all the prayers, good luck wishes and whatever else I can think of for a good outcome with your meeting today.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Recover quickly. I had my surgery a few days before last Christmas, and was out and about by the 27th. Of course, I was high as a kite, but Utah drivers would never notice. ;)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Well, you know I've been praying for you and your family as they will be the ones carin for your laid up butt, :) Seriously though, keep the spirits high and just follow docs orders for a speedy recovery.

So you really have no idea how, when you broke the rod?

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Don't put it off to long it will only make things worse and hope that riding bike is part of physical therapy.

·
Two skinny J's
21,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope no clue at all of how or when it broke. I'd really like to see the x-ray and I guess I will sometime soon. There is no one thing or point in time I can say, Yup that was it. Strange. Defective material? It's more annoying than anything right now, it feels like a burning, stinging kinda thing unless I step or twist wrong then it can be some intense pain.

I got my first taste of what this process is gonna be. TRICARE didn't like where the referral was because of where I live ( guess they want me to go to a military base and see a Doc) so my apt for today was cancelled and another at the same place rescheduled for tomorrow. It's going to be an insurance nightmare. The original injury was covered under workmans comp and as soon as you mention that, well that just seems to throw a huge wrench into it. The risk management people at work are working on it for me or so they say, I've asked to be included in the email distro list concerning this but have yet to see the first email.

I'm in no hurry to go get cut up but I would like some resolve to this before anything else happens.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Nope no clue at all of how or when it broke...
Crushing a huge gear no doubt.

I hear a lot about broken or bent spare parts. It happens, I guess. You have a lot of work ahead of you. You're strong like an ox and that will help. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Insurance companies!! Ugh!!
While I am in no way shape or form for a Nat'l healthcare program, I can certainly understand why some are.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Insurance companies!! Ugh!!
While I am in no way shape or form for a Nat'l healthcare program, I can certainly understand why some are.

You imply that don't like insurance companies, yet you seem to be strongly in support of letting them continue to write the rules.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I can say no thanks to them. Let the gov't run it then no becomes a crime. Not to mention an even less desirable process.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Geez Rola643, I do hope you get better. That rod break sounded wicked, not sure how or why you didn't know it broke. I hope you recover quickly.

Not to get off the subject, but in regards to insurance, do you really think the government is going to be able to write the rules when it comes to insurance companies? Do you really think insurance companies are willing to operate at a loss to appease the government? Don't be a fool!!! And really nuts is that we go after the insurance companies who are really only responding to years and trillions of dollars of litigation, so maybe the ones we should really be controlling is the attorneys? It seems to me we're going about this half ass backwards.

·
1,355 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles Rola. I hope that all goes well and that your are back on your bike real soon.

·
Two skinny J's
21,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well don't it just figure. Got that apt with the surgeon today and he was like it's no big deal. Hardware breaks all the time and most likely yours has been broken for years. No way to prove it without x-rays from the witch doctor that did all the original work. He went into detail of how ,when and why it most likely happened and came to the conclusion that the pain I feel around my ankle is tendinitis and gave me a prescription for 4 weeks of therapy. He wanted me to wear a boot to mobilize my ankle but that's not real conducive to my work environment so I may pay for not wearing it. After 4 weeks of no running, riding or working on the bowflex MOST of the pains are gone now. Doc even said I could run again in a few weeks. Planning to ride Thursday for the first time in....I don't even know how long! Prolly have flat spots on my tires! All of this has made me feel just a tad bit older but all the more reason to get back at it! I'm ready to ROLA...sorry I'm just happy I don't have to go under the knife again!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Awesome news bro! Bet your itching to get movin!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Best news I've heard all day... make that all week!!!!

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Rola hope you have no more problums and are back rideing soon. :thumbsup: :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts