Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After two months of not trusting my read wheel after a terrible LBS experience, my decision was made for me when I broke yet ANOTHER spoke on smooth roads. So I am going to take advantage of Nashbar's lifetime guarantee and send those back. 5 broken spokes in less than 3000 miles is no good. Not when my AlexRun DA 28s that came with the bike when 15000 miles with none. Nashbar has been very insistent that they have no problem with people returning things for any reason and that my situation is not even close to abusing the system. So I guess I don't feel too bad about it, even though it has been two years since I bought them. (Fairly light use though.)

Anyway, I will only be able to get store credit, which is fine..but they have almost NO wheels other than 20/24 except in the ones that run more than my entire bike. They do have a 36 spoke one which, sure, it quite a bit heavier, as you would expect. But I am not a sprinter. And I have put on more than a pound myself since last year so the 13-14 or so ounces it is heavier is not going to matter too much. I've even saved maybe 5-6 ounces in things that I used to carry in my saddle bag that I no longer. So that accounts for almost half the added weight of the wheels.

I'm not sure I like the idea of riding around on "fat person" wheels being that I am 6 foot 8 and only about 180-185. But I do like the idea of added peace of mind of all that extra support for the distribution of my weight. so is there anything else I should worry about? There is (only) one other one I could go with that IS 32 spokes, but that is like $80 more and doesn't seem all that much better to justify the added cost. If I had plans on getting a lot more at Nashbar in the near future, I could buy the wheels elsewhere and use that credit for other stuff, but I just bought a whole bunch of the more expensive maintenance purchases so I won't be needing anything for awhile.

It just really frustrates me that there wouldn't be any lower end 32 spoke wheelsets. You'd think the cheaper ones would be mostly those "standard" ones.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A second related question...Is there anything I should be worried about regarding putting my old wheelset on my bike to use in the meantime? They have been sitting in a box for two years. Everything seems fine. The spokes appear to be still properly tensions, and the wheels are true. One of the skewers had a little but of rust on the thread but other than that, the wheels seem fine. But could the spoke a have bound up a bit or anything? I don't want to get on just to start breaking spokes on this one too since it will be at least 2 weeks before I get the new wheels from Nashbar. Should I tighten each spoke a half turn and then bring them back to release any binding?

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
From your posting, it sounds to me as if "ego" is going to be your limiting factor. If anyone mentions it, you can always say that they came with the bike.

·
Two skinny J's
21,579 Posts
I don't have to much to add other than I had a set of Mavic Ksyriums, which Hazy now owns, that I popped several drive side spokes on. Back then it was a LONG wait to get the spokes. As far as I know he's not had any further issues with them. Wne I had those I was close to 180 lbs riding a 24 spoke count. At that time I had a set of HED Belguim C2 wheels built with 28 spokes and the ride is cadillac comparatively so I wouldn't let spoke count bother ya. They are also much wider rims and the 25s fit in them very nicely making the ride that much better. Sadly I don't even use them anymore.

I guess unless you're doing a lot of climbing or racing, why worry about a few grams? :)

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I wouldn't fret spoke count. Good hubs that spin well and it won't matter much to most riders.
The wheels sitting doesn't have any bad affect assuming they spin well and seem in good order. Just my opinion but ride whatever wheels you have and buy whatever fits budget and needs. Number of spokes shouldn't much matter. And who cares what anyone else thinks of your wheels.
My only advice is buy wheels where the nipples are not like this but a little more evenly spaced.
when spaced tight in pairs like that they true poorly but the real issue is they are prone to pulling out of the rim and it can be disastrous when it happens. See a lot of wheels like this come into the shop.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I guess unless you're doing a lot of climbing or racing, why worry about a few grams? :)

Well..I DO do a lot of climbing. Nothing huge. The highest rated climb (according to both Strava and MapMyRide) is a grade 3, but we have several. Generally ones that average 6-8 degrees over a couple miles with some shorter inclines of 10-15 degrees. I never plan rides out in advance, but whenever I do a full ride, I generally try to do at least about 3000 feet of climb which is 3 decent hills plus some rolling ones along the way. That is what I do instead of sprinting. I mean, I'n not getting any KOMs or anything...except on hills that no one else has does, since I also like to go way off the beaten path and do roads that most people don't even know about, let alone ride. (And sadly, I often find myself literally off the beaten path as I enter the next county, or cross over into Pennsylvania and the nice asphalt road I have been riding on suddenly turns into a dirt road. But I don't do that too often anymore.)

Will that really matter much though? I was thinking that maybe it would even be better for me. The fact that almost all my rides do involve a lot of slow climbs would put a lot of street on both my drivetrain and my wheels right? They are always under a bit more torque than just maintaining a smooth 20 mph on a flat road.

I think as long as my old wheels hold up, I can sit back and wait on Nashbar to maybe add another 32 or maybe just have a decent sale on some of the higher priced ones. I didn't get a chance to go out on the old wheels yet. I might go for a quick ride in about an hour. But if it holds up, I don't see why I can't hold off, I guess. I do hate having to make rushed purchases like this. And I won't be getting my Nashbar credit for the return for about two weeks, so we'll see. But I guess if it comes down to it, I can get the 36 ones.

·
still learning
3,610 Posts
or just get a mag wheel, like those spinergy mags or something

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
While this does suck, you lost me with the comment about 36 spoke wheels being "fat person" wheels, maybe you should be more concerned about the attitude than a wheelset no normal person will give 2 craps about being on your bike. Only another "person" with a similar d0uchey elitist a-wipe attitude would even notice or comment on them but I can see where their opinion would matter to you. Maybe some people would run 36 spokes for strength and longevity of the true regardless of a bit more weight or anyone else's opinion.......like me. Nope, neither anorexic nor obese. They make for some great lacing patterns too. No one cares about your super large weird looking frame either. What matters is the wheels are spinning and you're riding. Try and focus on that.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Honestly unless it is your mechanic I doubt anyone else will even notice your spoke count. I couldn't tell you the spoke count on anyone I ride with wheels.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
I count miles when riding, not how many spokes are in anyone's wheelset..........because it does not matter. 36 are nice on a mtb you can bash the F out of and it like it and ask for more. Less chance of any taco-ing. Same would apply to a pavement machine - sturdier and worry-free. More riding, more fun.............

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Your old wheels will be just as good as the day you removed them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
While this does suck, you lost me with the comment about 36 spoke wheels being "fat person" wheels, maybe you should be more concerned about the attitude than a wheelset no normal person will give 2 craps about being on your bike. Only another "person" with a similar d0uchey elitist a-wipe attitude would even notice or comment on them but I can see where their opinion would matter to you. Maybe some people would run 36 spokes for strength and longevity of the true regardless of a bit more weight or anyone else's opinion.......like me. Nope, neither anorexic nor obese. They make for some great lacing patterns too. No one cares about your super large weird looking frame either. What matters is the wheels are spinning and you're riding. Try and focus on that.
Sorry pathetic social justice warrior...but I am as far from elitist cyclist (on my $500 bike and $130 wheels riding around in sneakers, no helmet and plain clothes flapping in the wind, with music blaring from the tiny speakers of my Garmin GPS that I basically use just for the music to get me through boring stretches since I hate riding in groups where I have to do what others are doing..or even worse..have PRE-PLANNED in advance..something I have never done, or doing the same route over and over again, also something I have literally never done in the 10 years I have had a GPS logger) as you can get..but being someone who has been told my ENTIRE life that I am DANGEROUSLY UNDERWEIGHT...no, I don't want to get wheels designed for people who are 230 pounds or more. Especially not when the weight of those wheels is FAR more heavier than just the weight of 8 spokes compared to a 32 spoke wheel, and they are the same company that made the POS that broke 1/4 of the spokes on me. And there is no way I am buying from this company again after their reply to me was TELLING me that I am overweight at 175 because their tires are made for a max weight of 180...which at no point does ANY place (whether on their site, their box, or sites that sell it) mention which is absurd being that that is 15 pounds less than the AVERAGE wight of males. And then they actually gave me a link to that 36 spoke wheel after I told them all the issues I had with their product and the bad ratings they got on multiple sites because they actually thought that after I had such a horrible experience with them, that I would buy from them again..DIRECTLY...at full price which is $60 more than Nashbar. Nope..I just means they are going to get yet another 1-2 star review to go along with all the other people who have said the same thing...unfortunately most after I bought these.

But don't worry..you fulfilled your quote to remain in the SJW club for another week.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
Sorry, wrong guy bud. Not warring for any social justice. Was just my response to an ignorant sounding statement. Pathetic is not liking being labeled as dangerously underweight yet throwing around fat labels. Seems a bit short bus to do stuff you don't like others doing to you. Other than that, yeah, non-conformist here too as far as group rides, attire, strava & such. Hell, I wear rash guards as a jersey and baggy shorts with punk tacos blaring from my altec lansing bluetooth speaker because Garmin gets none of my cash and discs on road bikes are even OK if someone wants them. Your original post sure sounded elitist so that's what that was, great if that isn't the case.........good luck on the wheelset search.......or just buy the hubs, hoops and spokes then build exactly the wheelset you want. I'm so unelitist I build my own wheels. :D

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
This 36 hole wheel is super strong laced up crow's foot. I have had a bike laced up like this and NEVER had to true it after building it and have bashed the crap out of them on several different mt bikes. IMO the pattern looks really cool too. 32 hole version, not so much...........

·
still learning
3,610 Posts
that's a crazy looking design. looks like the spokes are curving

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
It was really fun playing hand twister to get the right spokes off hub, cross them the right way and get them pointed at the right holes in the rim. Where they cross ends up being woven pretty much. Not quite as crazy as the lacing where you actually twist spokes together before hitting rim but close. This lacing..............

I have not attempted this one yet but have been tempted on several occasions in a bout with boredom. I don't think I like it as much as the crow's foot, it looks a bit snowflakish or flowery, lol. I'm sure it's plenty strong tho but would not like to fight any truing issues with it. The crow's foot makes me think "Spirograph"...there's ya a yesteryear word.........

·
still learning
3,610 Posts
its crazy to me that the spokes are still able to hold weight and don't snap after a little while

·
717 Posts
different spokes for different folks.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Knowing how to lace a bicycle wheel 36 spokes can be a big help. The first thing to do is put the hub with 36 holes in the center and the bike’s rim around it. Place the nipple on the spoke. This will lock it on the rim. The nipple is good to go after you successfully turned it after five size rotations, fit the lead spoke into the rim of the first hole. Then, screw in a nipple using a screwdriver onto the spoke’s end where it comes out of the bike’s rim. You have to fit the primary trailing spoke on the right of the bike wheel, the spoke should pass on the inside of two primary spokes.

·
Old, fat, and slow
943 Posts
I weigh an eighth of a ton or thereabouts, and have 28.24 spoke wheels on a couple of bikes. No problem.

As for lacing up a wheel, I have never done a full wheel, but YouTube or even online articles (like, words I would have to read) have all the info. I would print out whatever I needed, and save the best videos, for frequent reference during the process.

But .... the real revelation of this thread is that I12Ride in=s in fact a Social Justice Ninja.

I guess he is making a better world by riding his bicycle in the sky, or something. I sense a comic strip opportunity.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts