Out Lawing Geared and bikes with shocks from racing

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by benny4130, Oct 17, 2009.

1. benny4130

benny4130 New Member

Does anyone else think bikes with gears and/or shocks should not be allowed in BMX races? I live in the north east so I am not sure that this happens everywhere. It's fine that someone uses a MTB bike for one race but every week. I mean WTF you can spend god knows how much for your dirt jumping mountain bike but can't pick up a used race bike for a couple hundred bucks. Anyone else out there with me.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

You've confused me. Are you saying that your BMX track lets guys race on mountain bikes? Do those guys get spanked?

3. benny4130

benny4130 New Member

They use dirt jumping mountain bikes in the cruiser class. I took one around the track one day for fun but it is a bit smoother with the shock eating up some of the bumps after we had a rainy week and there are some inperfections in the track. Also clearing the jumps is easier if you learn to preload the fork and have it help you shoot you up.

4. Echihn

Echihn FreerideLife

Actually its perfectly legal. In fact, mongoose even made a 3 speed, 1 in rear travel bmx race frame in the mid 90's.

The reason DJ and slalom bikes are allowed in BMX is because it is classified under the "cruiser" class, which means any bike 24in tire or bigger. Now they should never be racing 20in bikes as that is a different class.

And no industry, they don't get spanked. I have no issue tearing a guy on a top end bmx cruiser up on my urban/4x bike. Whole ordeal is 4x is basically dh bmx racing. It's completely changed since dual slalom. Your seeing more hardtails and stiffer suspension now making the bikes actually feel better than the bmx counterparts.

But yes, ABA and NBL allow them. Your screwed. its nothing about them being too cheap for a bmx bike. Its how the bikes feel. I absolutely hate how my bmx feels now since I race DH mtb and ride urban and 4x. My bmx bike has an awkward low down riding style and geometry, while my mountain bikes have a higher riding slung back feeling. Its easier to move around a 4x bike than a cruiser. All preferance. I actually like the fact more people are getting off bmx cruisers and onto 4x bikes. Its helping progress racing, and bringing a whole new style of riding and riders to the bmx scene.

And no benny, your thinking about "preloading" from a bmx stand point. You don't use suspension to "bump you up" you don't use it to help you jump. Its not like it used to be in the early 90's with those crap suspension forks they had. All the 4x forks do is soak up hard landings. Just like on my dh bike, I don't preload my 8in of travel when I jump, I just huck off the lip. Same on the 4x bike. Your not cheating by using suspension. In any case it will make them slower because each pedal gets cushioned by the forks taking away from pedaling efficiency, meaning you should have no problem railing them on a bmx bike.

5. Industry_Hack

They mixed cruisers and 20" bikes where I raced.

6. Echihn

Echihn FreerideLife

that would be against aba / nbl rules. I'm guessing it was more or less a non sanctioned event or was it?

7. Industry_Hack

It was in Australia, and the Masters Class.

8. Echihn

Echihn FreerideLife

What sanctioning league was it though? Class like x, inter, masters means nada because there is two of each. X cruiser, x 20, master 20, master cruiser. In any mainstream league you will never see the 2 mixed.

9. Industry_Hack

BMX Australia is affiliated with the UCI. How often did you race over there that you know the rules?

10. Echihn

Echihn FreerideLife

I know the rules to League racing. I never said I knew local race rules, which was why I was guessing you were racing in a non world wide event, not sanctioned by a league. IE my poinit in asking you "who was the sanctioning league".

Basically any serious biking league doesn't allow it. Period. Its an international league standard. Any true racer would know that.

And no, I have no been over there, but I have also raced all over. Leagues have standard rules. They won't vary. The whole point is, if a league allows 26in mountain bikes against 20in bikes it isn't what I call a "legit" league. Its more or less just a local fun league. No UCI affialited league would promote such a race, especially since UCI specifically goes against that kind of mixing.

11. Echihn

Echihn FreerideLife

Forgot to mention I raced 4 days a week for a decade in the aba. Saturday we would hit up 3 different aba races. So you figure I was doing 6 official aba bmx races a week, doing every state race, and as many national events as I had time for, as well as a few nbl races here and there.

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Echihn you have sponsorship then?

13. Industry_Hack

He may just be the greatest racer ever, so I'm sure he does. :rolleyes:

14. Echihn

Echihn FreerideLife

LOL, your funny industry. Definitely cocky with being an "older guy". You may want to take a look at some of the other work I do. With airsoft, computers, trucks. You will quickly realize I'm not screwing around with crap. If you ever see me at an ABA nationals practice, call me out, get in the gate, and show me what you got.

And yes funetical, I did have a ride back when I was a die hard bmx racer. Since I mostly freeride mountain bike now, and do a few dh races a year, I don't bother pursuing sponsorships any more. NTM I have torn my body up over the years and have a major back issue going on that has kept me for quite a few races in the last 3 years.

15. Industry_Hack

16. Echihn

Echihn FreerideLife

Don't know what airsoft is then? O boy. Google it up. How bout this, google up "classic airsoft on wiki" after that and then you will see what I am involved with.

or look on my forum at bvguns.com, or at two spokes brother site at airsoftsociety.com

17. Industry_Hack

I'm sure this is going to offend some people, but I don't understand why any adult would own a toy gun.

This is not an airsoft rifle:

Attached Files:

18. Echihn

Echihn FreerideLife

To inform you, I'm also a real steel gun smith.

The whole "point" in airsoft is called "milsim". You can't go shoot your buddies with real guns now can you? You can't do military simulations with real guns either.

People that don't get the point... well, they are missing the whole point to begin with. The whole point you shoot a buddy with a real gun, you go to jail.

Once again, you might want to ask me about stuff before you assume. I don't just play with toy guns, I modify and alter systems on real guns as well, ntm restore ww2 and older guns including breech loaders, muskets, etc. Also an avid hunter, and probably one of a few of the .458 LOTT collectors.

to add: I'm also one of the original people who designed a mag lock kit to make the AR-57 upper California legal. Similar to a bullet button, but uses an allen set screw through the top of the receiver.

Another add : what base is that .223? I'm having good luck with LMT uppers and lowers but always looking for reviews on others.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  19. Industry_Hack

Wow, you weld up bike frames and build guns too? What else can you do? And yet, anyone that knows the slightest bit about black guns wouldn't refer to that as a .223, since it most definitely isn't. (Rock River mid, but the way)

I wouldn't point a gun at someone, real or otherwise, unless I was prepared to kill them. Playing with guns is not my thing. When I wanted to practice, I went up to the police range and worked with the SWAT trainer. Running drills with live ammo, not toys with plastic pellets. That's just silly.

20. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Lets get back on-topic guys. Don't want to clutter the tech forums with OT.