Out of Business?

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by thrasher, Jun 11, 2009.

1. thrasher

thrasher Guest

Does anyone know what major BMX companies went out of business in the late 90's?

I can't seem to remember many of the names anymore but I know there were quite a few.

2. Brian P

Brian P New Member

gt and schwinn were bought out by pacific in the late 90's
    mongoose as most new it went under as well and was bought by another huge company

hence all of them now being sold at department stores.

cyclecraft, tnt, bully and other small companies just went aside due to BMX loosing popularity due to mtn bikes and video games.

heck, even haro was sold to a larger company, but they still support BMX

3. keving

keving Guest

GT and Mongoose still make really good quality bikes, but they also have some lower end stuff aimed at a lower price point.

Cyclecraft and Bully are still in business and producing frames.

4. Brian P

Brian P New Member

cyclecraft was out of business for a long time and recently got bought by 3 new owners who are selling off old stock and making new stuff soon if not already.

wasnt aware of bully still being around, but i dont think its owned by the same original owners from the late 80's, is it?

5. hellrider

hellrider Guest

What about diamondback, redline, etc???

6. Brian P

Brian P New Member

diamondback and redline are still into it and both companies make some really nice full on race bikes.

7. mike_g

mike_g Guest

Cyclecraft is the only one that I remember.

8. regulator

regulator Guest

Why did BMX become so unpopular compared to mountain bikes? Haven't they both been around a good while?

9. Cycle

Cycle Guest

BMX is harder to do in your free time. Mountain Bikes the same. But when your known for damaging everything that you touch people usually ask you to leave. That and the majority of us a freakish what with our tats and piercings and what not.

10. benny4130

benny4130 New Member

robinson & power lite are both gone too

11. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member