Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was riding and got passed very closely by a minivan. There was no on-comming traffic so I (over) reacted by waving my arm (no "finger") and shouting something like "could you have gotten a little closer".
Well the mini-van driver pulled over and as I road up along side (thinking this might not turn out so well) it was a young women behind the wheel, all I could think of is she is the same age as my daughters. She asked what she did wrong as I was not riding the edge of the road and didn't give her much room to pass.

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
Intresting she would stop and inquire in that manner, I'll take that as a positive response.

I don't want to open another can of worms but sometimes I make my self very wide to force the slow down or pass:)

·
Registered
350 Posts
She had the whole oncoming lane to pull out and safely pass, but you "didn't give her much room?" Just because a bike is allowed to share the lane with a car doesn't mean it's required. What she should have done is pass you at a safe distance. Duh.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
The other day I was riding and got passed very closely by a minivan. There was no on-comming traffic so I (over) reacted by waving my arm (no "finger") and shouting something like "could you have gotten a little closer".
Well the mini-van driver pulled over and as I road up along side (thinking this might not turn out so well) it was a young women behind the wheel, all I could think of is she is the same age as my daughters. She asked what she did wrong as I was not riding the edge of the road and didn't give her much room to pass.
At least she asked. Most that I see flip me off as if I'm the jerk. Of course none have stopped to ask or do otherwise. Shocking.

·
Ancient Member
11 Posts
In Wisconsin, there's a 36" law on the roads. Of course, not everyone obeys. Most of my routes are on rural roads, or parkways; I try to avoid roadways if I can, and for the reason you just stated. Glad to hear you didn't actually get swiped by the van; that could've been REAL BAD!!! There have been at least 2 deaths here in the past 2 years because motorists don't know the law. I've also had the opportunity to catch up the people that have come dangerously close to me at the next traffic light; I just glance over at them and shake my head.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,500 Posts
Intresting she would stop and inquire in that manner, I'll take that as a positive response.

I don't want to open another can of worms but sometimes I make my self very wide to force the slow down or pass:)
Some even give a little wobble or a swerve as cars are coming (at a distance) to force a wide pass.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,500 Posts
The best way to handle drivers is to simply blow it off. Don't let anyone steal your joy. If we throw a [email protected]#fit, act indignant or flip them off it won't change the way they do things the next time. All it does is confirm in their minds that cyclists are ******s. I actually wave.

·
Two skinny J's
21,185 Posts
When all else fails :cool:

Attachments

·
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, i didn't realize that got posted as the computer went down and I never got to finish it!!!

My point is I was also in the wrong for getting so upset. I think sometimes we cyclist get a "me against them" attitude and look at every "close" encounter (our judgment) as an attack on us. I apoligized to her for my reaction, we had a good discussion on why I was "claiming" a third of the road and most importantly I advised her, as a young women, to NEVER EVER pull over because someone is hollaring for her to do so.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Only once have I had a problem with vehicles. It was on a two lane road with stable crushed stone shoulders. I was blown off the road by a large dump truck. He had a tractor trailer coming at him in the opposing lane and had little choice but to come close to me. Don't think he ever thought about slowing down before passing me. My concern was more of staying up on my bike then making gestures or yelling anything. Fortunately I'm riding a hybrid and the tires handled the crushed stone well. When riding, I stay very close to the right hand edge of the road except in a few areas where the roadway is deteriorating badly and I swing left to get around it. The vast majority of cars that pass me choose to go into the opposing lane even though they are crossing the double yellow line.

I agree that the young lady should have never stopped and engaged in conversation with you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
>>>He had a tractor trailer coming at him in the opposing lane and had little choice but to come close to me. Don't think he ever thought about slowing down before passing me. <<<

You gotta love that - I've got a hill on part of my ride (I know you northerner's would laugh at it, but its at the end of the commute and always into the wind so its a puffer). It never ceases to amaze me how many people will pass me, bless them, well left, into what might suddenly become on-coming traffic. They can't see - they don't know. They are not even thinking about this - they are just focused on me.

And of course, we see it all the time, cars pushing past, squeezing between a bike and oncoming traffic, when there is nothing behind that last car and it would be a simple matter after that. They really don't think these things through, do they?

I suppose that if there is a difference between cyclists and cars, its that cyclists face an immediate pain response and motorists don't.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Actually, i didn't realize that got posted as the computer went down and I never got to finish it!!!

My point is I was also in the wrong for getting so upset. I think sometimes we cyclist get a "me against them" attitude and look at every "close" encounter (our judgment) as an attack on us. I apologized to her for my reaction, we had a good discussion on why I was "claiming" a third of the road and most importantly I advised her, as a young women, to NEVER EVER pull over because someone is hollering for her to do so.
Sadly, I think that at one time or another have had a close pass, and sadly if they haven't it's probably only a matter of time before it does happen.

Just the other day I had an encounter with a JAM, who I am pretty sure wanted to fight over my choice of road positions. He passed me closer than 3' which is the law here in Florida. All I said to him as he passed was "three feet." And he slows down eventually stopping or for all intent and purposes stopping.

I guess he pretty much expected me to pull up along side his pickup on his right side. I'm not that dumb. He then starts to insult and harass me when I inform him that he's required to leave 3' when passing a bicyclist.

When we reached the intersection that is controlled by a traffic light and while he's sitting in the left turn lane he tells me to pull into "that parking lot over there." I'm sitting in the curbside through lane waiting for the light to turn green. When it does he proceeds to the left and into the parking lot of 7-11.

I on the other hand kept on riding through the intersection, and transition onto the sidewalk, just in case he decided to follow and to continue with his harassment. Or worse decided to act on his apparent anger, hostility, what have you.

You gave her the best advice anyone could by telling her not to ever pull over for someone no matter how much they're being yelled at to do so.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Only once have I had a problem with vehicles. It was on a two lane road with stable crushed stone shoulders. I was blown off the road by a large dump truck. He had a tractor trailer coming at him in the opposing lane and had little choice but to come close to me. Don't think he ever thought about slowing down before passing me. My concern was more of staying up on my bike then making gestures or yelling anything. Fortunately I'm riding a hybrid and the tires handled the crushed stone well. When riding, I stay very close to the right hand edge of the road except in a few areas where the roadway is deteriorating badly and I swing left to get around it. The vast majority of cars that pass me choose to go into the opposing lane even though they are crossing the double yellow line.

I agree that the young lady should have never stopped and engaged in conversation with you.
>>>He had a tractor trailer coming at him in the opposing lane and had little choice but to come close to me. Don't think he ever thought about slowing down before passing me. <<<

You gotta love that - I've got a hill on part of my ride (I know you northerner's would laugh at it, but its at the end of the commute and always into the wind so its a puffer). It never ceases to amaze me how many people will pass me, bless them, well left, into what might suddenly become on-coming traffic. They can't see - they don't know. They are not even thinking about this - they are just focused on me.

And of course, we see it all the time, cars pushing past, squeezing between a bike and oncoming traffic, when there is nothing behind that last car and it would be a simple matter after that. They really don't think these things through, do they?

I suppose that if there is a difference between cyclists and cars, its that cyclists face an immediate pain response and motorists don't.
Yeah, don't you just "love" the thought process that the "big, bad, mean bicyclist" just "made" the poor scared little motorist pass in an unsafe and dangerous manner?

When if they had waited just a couple of seconds they could have easily and safely passed us.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,500 Posts
My point is I was also in the wrong for getting so upset. I think sometimes we cyclist get a "me against them" attitude and look at every "close" encounter (our judgment) as an attack on us.
I think we have a sense of entitlement we have to fight against. We view everyone else as being stupid and selfish. It's especially bad when we're on the rode riding or driving. Someone cuts us off and we feel we have been wronged and feel as though we are owed something for it. And to not get some type of satisfaction or repayment means we are operating at some cosmic deficit. I catch myself doing it all the time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts