Overhauling Wheel Bearings - Any advice???

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by whyeyebike, Nov 23, 2010.

1. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

At the end of last winter, I started to notice a horrible noise coming from my rear wheel that through process of elimination, I have determined is coming from my hub. I have decided to take on the project of overhauling my wheel bearings since I have never done something like this before, and this is a good bike to start with (mainly because if I screw it up, I have a second set of wheels and a better bike I can use until the snow comes).

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me. I have watched several videos on YouTube and I have all the necessary tools, with the exception of the actual bearings which I will hopefully pick up this weekend so I can take on this task this Sunday. I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined so I don't think this project will be over my head.

Any help, suggestions or warnings would be great.....thanks!!!!

2. ThinkBike

ThinkBike New Member

What can you tell us about the wheelset/hubs? New, old, abused, hardly used,few miles, lots of miles? Make and model? Are you a racer, weekend rider, commuter? Do you ride in the rain? Are there very few miles and little use and you're surprised your hubs need new bearings/grease? Are there lots of miles and you're thinking "wow, these lasted a long time"? If you have a set that's particularly difficult to overhaul, then some other riders with similar experience might be able to help. Need lots more info please.

3. gs46

gs46 Pedaling Old Man

Advice....when reinstalling the bearing races do not over tighten....I like to use a good teflon grease bought from the LBS....

4. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

ThinkBike....I apologize for giving such little information. When I wrote the post, it was a spur of the moment thing and I wasn't at home to look at the wheels. And of course, I am replying to this thread with the same issue. I can tell you some of the back ground. First they are Bontrager wheels, but I do not know off hand the model or year. They are coming off a bike with unknown total mileage. I know they are the original wheels and that I have put close to 2000 miles on them, but prior to that I do not know. The bike they are coming from is a 2004, so they could have a lot of miles. As far as they type of riding I do, I do race but that is of little consequence for this bike as its one of many; and it isn't my racing bike. This is my mule...use it in the winter time because its heavy and good to train with. I have not begun this project, so I have no information about the wear and tear of the current bearings.

5. ThinkBike

ThinkBike New Member

Since this bike is your workhorse and will be used in the winter, you'll want bearings with synthetic grease that resists washout. You'll also want some fairly tough seals. Again, I'm guessing that these are sealed bearings. If they are sealed and you've only put 2000 miles on them, you already know that you'll need better seals and/or grease than what is normally provided. I would contact philwood.com and ask what bearings they have that would meet your needs. Their waterproof grease is well known and their bearings are top quality Japanese NTN.