Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read something today that made me re-vist these terms. I generally think of a pace for a jogger or runner and not something in cycling. I know it'r very common to hear I rode a 18 mph pace...but you didn't :) You rode an avg speed of 18.3 mph or a 3:17 min/mi pace. Do you see what I'm saying. You can say it but it sounds funny to me. Garmin and others I'm sure will even calculate your pace but what good does it do to know it?

Maybe it's just me but I'm more interested in my speed and avg moving speeds and honestly if I could afford it I'd like to know my wattage output...or maybe lack of output :D

Pace
n.
1. A step made in walking; a stride.
2. A unit of length equal to 30 inches (0.76 meter).
3. The distance spanned by a step or stride, especially:
a. The modern version of the Roman pace, measuring five English feet. Also called geometric pace.
b. Thirty inches at quick marching time or 36 at double time.
c. Five Roman feet or 58.1 English inches, measured from the point at which the heel of one foot is raised to the point at which it is set down again after an intervening step by the other foot.
a. The rate of speed at which a person, animal, or group walks or runs.
b. The rate of speed at which an activity or movement proceeds.
5. A manner of walking or running: a jaunty pace.
6. A gait of a horse in which both feet on one side are lifted and put down together.

Speed
n.
1. Physics The rate or a measure of the rate of motion, especially:
a. Distance traveled divided by the time of travel.
b. The limit of this quotient as the time of travel becomes vanishingly small; the first derivative of distance with respect to time.
c. The magnitude of a velocity.
2. Swiftness of action.
a. The act of moving rapidly.
b. The state of being in rapid motion; rapidity.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts