Pacific Coast Bicycle Route/Southern Tier Bicycle Route

Discussion in 'Expedition & Touring' started by RollingNoMad, Oct 15, 2017.

1. RollingNoMad

RollingNoMad Junior Member

my 1st Solo Bicycle Touring Trip in the Pacific Coast Route/Southern Tier Route

This is going to be my 1st Solo Bicycle Touring Trip in the
    Pacific Coast Route/Southern Tier Route

Update on my 1st solo Bicycle Touring Trip on 6-2019 and I made up my mind that I will be going on the Pacific Coast Bicycle Route on 4-8-2014 I started the Pacific Coast Bicycle Route group on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/PacificCoastRoute/
    from Portland, Oregon to San Diego, CA and I have made $80.00 -fee's on facebook fundraising for my Amtrak Train Ticket and 2 nights in Motel 6 in Portland, Oregon and on 3-2018 and I am going to be saving $37.00 every month for my Amtrak Train Ticket and 2 nights in Motel 6 in Portland, Oregon. and on 5-2018 and I am going back to work in the Carnival games on a Carnival in Upper michigan and Wisconsin

This is my Bicycle Touring Trip Blog on Facebook
    (Touring on a Bicycle)
    https://www.facebook.com/TouringBicycleonaSurlyLHT/
    PS. My back up plan is to go on Amtrak Train to Portland, Oregon on 6-3-2019 then do my Bicycle Touring Trip to San Diego,CA on the Pacific Coast Bicycle Route

I am trying to go from a Wet Dream of Bicycle Touring in the USA to reality Dream of Bicycle Touring in the USA for Homelessness Awareness on 6-2019 from Portland, Oregon to San Diego, CA on the Pacific Coast Bicycle Route and please help me with my dream of Bicycle Touring Trip in the USA and I going to be saving my money about $37.00 in my new soon to be Back Account with BBVA Compass Bank (Note this was Copied and Pasted from Facebook and I am not asking for any money on this FORUM!) and I going to be saving my money about $37.00 a month starting on 3-2018 to 5-2019
    On 6-2019 I am going to Portland, Oregon to San Diego CA on my Touring Bicycle for Homelessness awareness and if anyone wants to join me on my Bicycle Touring Trip please let me know at Biketouringhobo and Touring on a Bicycle on facebook

Anyone have any tips on miles on a bike? and I was looking at 20 to 50 miles a day and I am doing Stealth Camping on my Trip and on my route I see Warmshowers.org host and I will be doing Stealth Camping on my Route on the Pacific Coast Bicycle Route. and I am using the
    Sun Ringle zuzu DH Platform Pedals and I am going to walk the hills to rest my legs. and I am going to be using my Merrell
    Moab Gore-Tex Mid Hiking Boots

I have done 20 miles a day in San Diego, CA doing Stealth Bike Camping and I have shakedown trip from Riverside, CA via Indio, CA to Niland, CA(Slab City) on 12-2018

Feedback is Appreciated on my 1st solo Bicycle Touring Trip on the Pacific Coast Route..
    Thanks Tim

have big Question about the Pacific Coast Bicycle Route maps?
    I have 4 Pacific Coast Bicycle Route maps
    Sec 2: BC-1612 year 2012
    Sec 3: BC-1621 year 2012
    Sec 4: BC-1622 year 2008
    Sec 5: BC-1623 year 2008
    Do you think that I should update my
    Pacific Coast Bicycle Route maps?
    Thanks for your Feedback
    Tim

(Touring on a Bicycle)

PS. My back up plan is to go on Amtrak Train to Flagstaff, AZ on 6-3-2019 to San Diego, CA

Bike Touring Trip on the Southern Tier Bicycle Route in planning and
    my 2nd back up Bike Touring plans is from Austin, TX to Tampa, FL on the Southern Tier Bicycle Route and I will take the Amtrak Train from Oceanside, CA to Austin, TX on 10-2019 https://www.facebook.com/groups/SouthernTierRoute/

on 5-21-2018 I am going back to work on a Carnival in the Games to save more money for my gear and Bicycle Touring Trip for 6-2019 on the Pacific Coast Bicycle Route....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  2. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

A friend has a house in Eagles Mere PA. We used that as base and spent 4 days doing 50-80 rides in the Poconos. Eagles Mere to Canton, EM to Williamsport, etc. Great riding there. Have fun.

3. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

I hope your trip is safe and fun! 20-50mi per day seems reasonable on the surface, at least. Have you had much practice cycling loaded? That makes quite a difference in both handling and average speed.

When it comes to Amtrak, I understand they now offer limited roll on/roll off transportation for bikes. They can only be loaded or unloaded at 'fully staffed stations' which appears to translate to the big stops. If you're interested in doing this, you'd need to be sure they will let you load and unload your bike at your beginning and end stop, then reserve a place on the train for both you and your bike.

The website appears pretty straightforward when it comes to that, but I should disclose that I have not actually taken advantage of this service yet. I have researched it a good bit as I'm interested in using Amtrak in the context of bicycle touring, but I have yet to actually set foot on a train.

If you end up going that route, I'd love to hear about your experience. Indeed, I'd love to hear about your tour either way!

4. RollingNoMad

Thanks

I found out on 10-15-2017 in Brodheadsville, PA where I lived from 3-1984 to 11-1991 and the Brodheadsville Inn is gone and i use to hang out there when I turned 21 and I am going on 52

(Touring on a Bicycle)

5. ironlungs

ironlungs Senior Member

This sounds like an awesome, beauty of an adventure! I'm not too knowledgeable on the Pokes, but if it's in raw country, you won't have any issues of finding a place to stealth camp. Just find a favorable spot, pull off discretely and set up camp. I know that it is legal to do on most all public grounds. As for places to clean up.. gas stations or fast food places. How many days? 20-30 miles is good average... take loads of pictures! We wanna see your adventure!

6. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

Did I miss something or is this gonna be a coupla yrs from now?

RollingNoMad likes this.
  7. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

^^It can take a lot of time, research, and coordination of life events and schedules to pull something like this off. Not at all unusual to see someone taking the long view on bringing it all together.

RollingNoMad likes this.
  8. RollingNoMad

Right now I am still getting my gear and I have to replace
    my Big Agnes Encampment sleeping bag 15deg next summer and I just
    replaced my Catoma Combat 1 man Tent with Kelty Trailogic TN2 man Tent and
    I am Living in My Tent full-time since 11-2008 here in Oceanside, CA in Southern California and I have been on SSI and SSDI since 10-1994 and I am 51 year old now and getting a Amtrak Train Ticket is going to be hard for me
    at $261.00 from LA, CA to Syracuse, NY then ride to Scranton, PA and on
    11-3-2017 I will buying my Arkel Orca 45 rear panniers for my Bike Touring Trip and I also need to replace my Ortlieb rack pack lg next summer

9. RollingNoMad

and When someone is on SSI and SSDI like getting gear can be hard to buy and I am Living in My Tent since 11-2008 full-time here in Oceanside, CA in Southern California and I am also Replacing gear time to time. and at this timeI don't know where I am going to end my Bicycle Touring Trip and it was going to be Tampa, FL in 2014

10. i12ride

OK, missed some very important details making planning and execution of this adventure the challenge I now see it is. I would be happy to help the train tkt happen when things get to that point. You know where to find me so when it's time drop me a PM and we'll figure something out................

idea 1.......gofundme page. Post up the link, I'd hit it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  11. RollingNoMad

I have tried GoFundme before to move from Oceanside, CA to Riverside, CA to move my Storage unit and to have Metrolink Train Fare and Riverside County Bus Pass to move my Stuff and no go with Gofundme and It is Cheaper for me to take Amtrak Train from LA, CA to Portland, OR to ride the Pacific Coast Bicycle Route after 6-2019 and I was to work the Carnival games and I could do that next year in the end of may 2018 to Oct 2018

12. i12ride

We an figure out something when it comes time.

13. cybersnow

cybersnow Senior

As another Southern CA biker, ar least during the winter, I am also more than willing to help. Just let us know as you get closer.

14. RollingNoMad

I found out that Facebook now has fundraising

update on my 1st solo Bicycle Touring Trip on 6-2019 and I made up my mind that I will going on the Pacific Coast Bicycle Route https://www.facebook.com/groups/PacificCoastRoute/
    from Portland, Oregon to San Diego, CA and I have made $80.00 -fee's for my Amtrak Train Ticket and 2 nights in Motel 6 in Portland, Oregon and on 3-2018 and I am going to be saving $25.00 for my Amtrak Train Ticket and 2 nights in Motel 6 in Portland, Oregon. and on 5-2018 and I am going back to work in the Carnival games on a Carnival in Upper michigan and Wisconsin

(Touring on a Bicycle)
    PS. My back up plan is to go on Amtrak Train to Portland, Oregon on 6-3-2019 then do my Bicycle Touring Trip to San Diego,CA on the Pacific Coast Bicycle Route

I am trying to go from a Wet Dream of Bicycle Touring in the USA to reality Dream of Bicycle Touring in the USA for Homelessnes Awareness on 6-2019 from Portland, Oregon to San Diego, CA on the Pacific Coast Bicycle Route and please help me with my dream of Bicycle Touring Trip in the USA and any money I get will be saved in my new soon to be Back Account with BBVA Compass Bank
    On 6-2019 I am going to Portland, Oregon to San Diego CA on my Touring Bicycle for Homelessness awareness and if anyone wants to join me on my Bicycle Touring Trip please let me know at Biketouringhobo and Touring on a Bicycle on facebook
    paypal.me/TSchneider795 https://www.facebook.com/donate/297508747414571/
    Tim

Attached Files:

newleaf150 likes this.
  15. i12ride

That was easy. Enjoy the journey..................