pacing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by London, Dec 2, 2009.

1. London

London Guest

Watched "Breaking Away" tonight and was reminded of auto/truck pacing by the scene in the movie. Have only tried this once many years ago. It was more fun than should be allowed but rather dangerous. At the time we (the kid in the van and me) were more worried about the cops than an accident. I managed the stay at around 40mph without too much work. I backed down after spooking myself by thinking about what could happen if the VW van 2 feet in front of me had to stop or even slow quickly.

My friend had no such inner demons and got up to around 50 before spinning out his gears. This was in the 70s. I've never done it again, nor would I.

Anyone else ever do this kind of thing?

2. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

Here in southern Sweden the main crop is sugar beets. Every late summer/fall the country roads are full of tractors pulling big trailers full of beets. They don't go very fast compared to other traffic but quite a bit faster than our pacelines. The tall square profile gives a huge dead air pocket behind. When we encounter one it's difficult to resist hanging on the back for a while but as a group leader I can not encourage it. Fun though! Every once in a while a beet will bounce out of the trailer and they are head sized and about as dense (as my head anyway), getting hit by one at speed would take you out.
    Back in the 80s when I lived in NYC (and thought I was immortal) I rode behind buses that were making the lights on the avenues. Not recommended! Too much diesel fumes! :D

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009

3. London

London Guest

55, I do a similar thing with an ocean kayak. (I live on the coast) It's easy to get in behind a large displacement sailboat doing 6-7 knots and ride the stern wave right up against the stern. You are surfing downhill and the only work involved is keeping straight and not bumping the boat. No forward paddling required. Some boaters find this amusing and some do not. You take your chances. I've found friendly sailors who not only let me tag along, but tossed cans of beer back to me. Even caught a few. It is tough to pop a top and stay straight however.

4. Oneway

Oneway Boston Biker

I've jumped in behind a truck now and then on roads where there is no reason for the truck to stop. When I moved into the older, wiser, don't bounce and don't heal fast age group, I don't run up in the pocket as London described but I get (I mean the past tense, "got") enough benefit to cruise at 30 mph without too much effort. Another danger in this is if there is a side street, an on coming or side street positioned car may be unaware I am there. Not that this ever happened but I shouted and complained until I calmed down and realised I was at fault.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009