Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen them, priced them, but wonder do they really help with the discomfrot of bicycle seats? Or is it just better to tough it out and get use to the sore butt?

·
Registered
2 Posts
One of the best investments there is. It is also said not to skimp for the cheapest. You won't regret the purchase. Welcome to the board, and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
If you're new to riding you will have a little soreness to work through no matter what, but as Inspmark said, a good pair of riding shorts (or a couple) is a very good investment for your riding enjoyment. I've tried the cheaper $25-$30 pairs and there's no comparison between them and a nice pair of $60-$80 shorts. It's well worth the extra money if you're going to do any serious riding.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Padded shorts make a world of difference!
I've only got one pair thus far, and they are the cheap $30 variety... but going from no pad to little pad is huge.
I am going to get me some of the big dollar baggies soon and try them out... it really is worth it to get the pad.
though mine will always be in baggy shorts... i can't see myself in those spandex things.

·
American Expatriate
248 Posts
^^I used to say that....until i got my first pair of lycra shorts. I love them for sure.

·
242 Posts
I live my padded shorts won't get on my bike with out them even if for a short ride .. they are awesome when I first started riding I could not go more than a couple miles because I got so sore but after I got the shorts I could ride forever

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I look real funny in spandex shorts but thay are better for me than my bagy mtn bikeshorts, and the mtn bike shorts are more $$ and look to be more paded.
My¢¢

·
Pedaling Old Man
68 Posts
I think there is enough comments here to covince you the padded shorts or underware is well worth the money. BUT if there isn't....They are GREAT! I have 3 pair a lycra pair that are the spandex type I use for riding my adventure bike mianly on bike paths and around town. I also have the underware type I use under my mtb shorts or warm-up type pants I wear in colder weather....yep the pad or "Chamois" is GREAT!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Get the shorts and a good pair of gloves and you're all set! =)

·
16 Posts
Padded short i feel are a must . But one trap i fell into was that i have a narrow hip . And with wide padded seats and an overly padded short ! no matter what i did i could not get comfortable . Shorts and seats are very personal choices and in time are very important decisions for proper fit .Myself I like to wear a tri race short with minimal padding and a medium padded seat .And then on longer rides i use Chammy Cream to help with keeping the soreness away. And i believe that had not i read and needs to be said . Do not wear underwear under your shorts . I know! but i am always seeing this on many of my large group rides .
And At some point you should try bib shorts when you can . They are extremely comfortable .

·
Registered
148 Posts
just when you thought it was safe

Yes the better padded shorts are worth the expense, however even more so are bib shorts. I rode for many years wearing non bib padded shorts and then finally sprung for a pair of bibs and the difference is amazing. They are so much more comfortable since there is no waist elastic to bind, chafe, or roll down. Also they way outlast regular shorts because they don't have the elastic to wear out. Either way beware of shorts that are offered at deep discount on online sites. The proper construction of padded shorts is complicated and allot can go wrong. Things like seams that rub, padding that is too thick in some places too thin in others, padding that migrates, leg grippers that grip too much or not enough, padding that is too heavy and hangs low when you are out of the saddle, padding that is too absorbent so it soaks up sweat and stays wet, seams that rotate around your leg as you pedal. The best shorts are worth the expense and way out last cheaper ones. It is best to buy two pair because you need to wash them after every ride and that way you can always have one pair drying and one pair to wear. God I am long winded.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I cant imagine riding a roadbike without the proper bike clothes. I cant stand anything flapping in the wind, except maybe my tongue. Bike clothes like spandex and cool max and windstopper and padded shorts keep you cool dry and comfortable and safe from getting stuff caught in the chain, etc. Its really not a matter of style, its a matter of function. And all those bright colored clothes just might keep you from getting runover by some near sighted q-tip head!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Q tip head? I'd claim to resemble that also but there's a stretch of bare skin down the middle and I'm far sighted.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Hard saddle and padded shorts for the enthusiasts, padded saddle and regular pants for the rest of us. Both work fine. For the true hard core, hard saddle, regular pants. I sport the hard saddle, regular pants look, but I wear padded underpants. Don't tell anyone.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yep, Possum, I have that same issue down the middle. I used to call it a solar panel...for a sex machine! Strange how things change...:eek:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts