Panniers from 5 gal Cat Litter Buckets

Discussion in 'Expedition & Touring' started by bohunker, Sep 26, 2009.

1. bohunker

bohunker Guest

I saw a few low cost panniers made from square buckets, so I thought I would give it a try.
    Here's my progress so far.

I sanded the logos, since I don't ride professionally for a cat litter company.
    Next I cut some padding from some spare tool box lining I had.

Next I will paint the panniers high vis yellow, add reflective tape and mount on rack.

Attached Files:

2. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

I personally wouldn't care for the shape, but that's just me.

All in all that's a pretty cool idea. Can't wait to see the hi-vis results!

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Have fun with your build. I'm curios to see how it works out.

4. RoyEveritt

RoyEveritt Brit

I'll be interested to see how you attach them. Do you have an idea for some sort of quick-release clip?

5. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

I don't know if these will help but I made some panniers out of marine battery boxes. I used all-threaded rod and some bungee cords with "wall hanging hooks". The pics are pretty descriptive but if anyone has questions I'm happy to add more detail...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. RoyEveritt

RoyEveritt Brit

Interesting, and a nice job. They look very sturdy. I assume the bungees cross over and around the rack? What stops the assembly moving forwards and backwards?

7. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

The bungees do not cross the rack, they simply hook onto the [I don't know the technical term] "pannier strap hook receivers" on the rack. The bungees are pulled down tight enough that gravity and the tension of the bungees hold the rack in place and the vinyl tubing that covers the center section of the all-threaded rod also helps prevent slippage front/back.

I don't have any really good pictures of the boxes mounted to the bike but I came across these from an X-mas ride I did. You'll have to ignore the "decorations" and just focus on the boxes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  8. borisbob

borisbob The Wizard of Odd

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Handsome is creative right? Did you see that stereo trailer. Man I love it.

10. TouringCyclist

TouringCyclist New Member

If anyone is interested go to Arkel | Bicycle bag | Pannier bag and look under accessories. Look for Cam-Lock Hook kit. These work great for hooking homemade panniers out of kitty liter boxes. Makes it so much easier for attaching them to you racks and for removinfg them.

11. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 Back in the Saddle

our local bike advocacy group did that here last year and is doing another event on it:

INDYCOG

12. mud

mud New Member

I don't know if anyone is looking for help on this topic, but here is a nice write-up with a few ideas....

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1gci&doc_id=1841&v=v

When I did mine I made a rack that allowed the boxes to sit level with the top of the rack. It gives you a really large area to put this on.

13. Nigal

Nigal YAY BAIKS! Tavern Member

I have tons of these buckets in my garage. Every time the wife puts the buckets out for the trash I think, "Those are too useful to throw away.". I should make up a few sets.

14. PlatyPius

PlatyPius New Member

I stock bolt-on pannier hooks just for this reason. I'd make a pair for myself, but I'm too cheap to buy the litter. That stuff is expensive! My cats crap in stuff that's $3/bag.

15. Mountaingirl

Mountaingirl New Member

That's pretty neat. I may need to try this in the near future if I can get some buckets.

16. Rossman

Rossman New Member

Some kitty litter boxes come in Hi-vis yellow. Might also look into Preen Fertilizer boxes , as they may have a narrower profile and suit better for panniers .