Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a few low cost panniers made from square buckets, so I thought I would give it a try.
Here's my progress so far.

I sanded the logos, since I don't ride professionally for a cat litter company.
Next I cut some padding from some spare tool box lining I had.

Next I will paint the panniers high vis yellow, add reflective tape and mount on rack.

Attachments

·
SMILEY CAR
191 Posts
I personally wouldn't care for the shape, but that's just me.

All in all that's a pretty cool idea. Can't wait to see the hi-vis results!

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts
I don't know if these will help but I made some panniers out of marine battery boxes. I used all-threaded rod and some bungee cords with "wall hanging hooks". The pics are pretty descriptive but if anyone has questions I'm happy to add more detail...

·
Brit
58 Posts
Interesting, and a nice job. They look very sturdy. I assume the bungees cross over and around the rack? What stops the assembly moving forwards and backwards?

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts
Interesting, and a nice job. They look very sturdy. I assume the bungees cross over and around the rack? What stops the assembly moving forwards and backwards?
The bungees do not cross the rack, they simply hook onto the [I don't know the technical term] "pannier strap hook receivers" on the rack. The bungees are pulled down tight enough that gravity and the tension of the bungees hold the rack in place and the vinyl tubing that covers the center section of the all-threaded rod also helps prevent slippage front/back.

I don't have any really good pictures of the boxes mounted to the bike but I came across these from an X-mas ride I did. You'll have to ignore the "decorations" and just focus on the boxes.

·
Back in the Saddle
106 Posts
our local bike advocacy group did that here last year and is doing another event on it:

INDYCOG

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
I have tons of these buckets in my garage. Every time the wife puts the buckets out for the trash I think, "Those are too useful to throw away.". I should make up a few sets.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I stock bolt-on pannier hooks just for this reason. I'd make a pair for myself, but I'm too cheap to buy the litter. That stuff is expensive! My cats crap in stuff that's $3/bag.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Some kitty litter boxes come in Hi-vis yellow. Might also look into Preen Fertilizer boxes , as they may have a narrower profile and suit better for panniers .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts