Pants Off/On the Touring Bicycle use?

Discussion in 'Expedition & Touring' started by RollingNoMad, Oct 27, 2017.

1. RollingNoMad

RollingNoMad Junior Member

Last few years I have been using the USMC digital Desert combat pants
    60% cotton/40% poly about 16oz 1lbs for
    Bicycle Touring, Stealth Bicycle Camping and Day Hiking in Southern California and way too heavy and getting old and going be giving to the Homeless in Vista, CA next summer

A few years ago I ordered the Tru-Spec 24/7 original Tactical pants in Khaki and Coyote
    65% poly/35% cotton 6.5oz 0.4lbs and I am taken then to get hemmed tomorrow 10-27-2017 in Oceanside California

I am going to be ordering the Tru-Spec 24/7 Tactical pant gunny made and approved Boot
    cut 6.5oz 0.4lbs 38X30 Khaki and I am also looking at Propper summer weight tactical khaki pants 4.2 oz 94% nylon / 6% spandex ripstop for Bicycle Touring, Stealth Bicycle Camping and everyday use here in Oceanside, CA and I am going to use the Tru-Spec 24/7 tactical boot cut pants for off my Touring Bicycle on Amtrak train/Greyhound bus and in Town walking around and I am not a big fan of cycling clothes but I have 4 pair of Aero tech designs Touring cycling shorts and 4 pair of Aero tech designs Hi-Vis Jersey's and pair of cycling tights for my Bicycle Touring Trip in Southern California and South West of USA and Southern Tier Bicycle Route and My Bicycle Touring Trip is for Homelessness awareness in the USA. and I would be around a lot of Homeless people talking to them..

I have looked at the Marmot arch rock khaki short pants 38x30 10.1 oz heavy and tight fit

Feedback is appreciated.

Has anyone use the Tru-Spec 24/7 tactical pants for Bicycle Touring, Stealth Bicycle Camping, Day Hiking and Backpacking or Off the Bicycle use??

Thanks again for your help
    Touring on a Bicycle
    https://www.facebook.com/TouringBicycleonaSurlyLHT/

2. cybersnow

cybersnow Senior Tavern Member

I typically wear the Tru-Spec 24/7 cargo shorts while riding around town or for rides around an hour or less. For touring, I wear a size larger and wear my padded biking shorts under them. While my jersy is great for holding my wallet, etc., I still like pockets...lots of pockets.

Haven’t tried the long pants.

3. RollingNoMad

Thanks and I have been wearing the 5.11 tactical khaki shorts riding my Touring Bicycle here in San Diego County in Southern California in the summer

4. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

Spandex, nothing but Lycra

az_cyclist likes this.
  5. RollingNoMad

I am not going to wear Cycling clothes on Amtrak Train or Greyhound bus
    and I do not Like wearing cycling Clothes and My Bicycle Touring Trip is for
    Homelessness awareness in the USA in the Southwest ans Southern California that means I am going around Homeless people talking to them! and I am a Homeless advocate for Survival

6. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

7. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Tavern Member

That makes no sense to me...Cuz the homeless can afford 5.11 clothes :rolleyes:...

8. RollingNoMad

I am on SSI and SSDI $963.04 and I can't afford to pay for a room to RENT here in Southern California and I choose to be Homeless by Choice for Bicycle Touring and I am 51 and I had a lot BS on Bikeforum(dot)net and Crazyguyonabicycle(dot)com and FYI: Anyone who give up living inside
    (Sales or Rents out there House) or Apt, Room to Rent under HUD is Homeless by Choice to go on a Bike Touring or Backpacking Trips

FYI: to buy Desert Khaki Shorts and Pants in Tru-Spec, Propper, and 5.11 Tactical is way cheaper then Hiking Clothes at REI, Campsaver, Campmor, and Moosejaw! and I don't wear Black jeans and Black jeans are more heavy and HOT then Desert Khaki Tactical Shorts and Pants and who are you to Judge mE for being Homeless by Choice trying to live my Dreams of Bicycle Touring! and There is alot of people who gave up living inside for Bicycle Touring around the World and I all I want to do is 3 to 4 Bicycle Touring Trip in the USA after 6-2019 for Homelessness awareness and I am also a Homeless advocate for Survival

FYI: I never said in my post I was Homeless by Choice and Now to you

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  9. superj

superj still learning Tavern Member

I just wear the mountain bike shorts from academy. I take out the liner though since recumbent bikes don't need the diaper padding. sometimes I wear just regular ol cargo shorts that are the type of material used in mil spec summer tops and bottoms. they are fine and have lots of pockets.

10. cybersnow

cybersnow Senior Tavern Member

Superj, what kind of recumbent do you ride and do/how do you transport it?

11. cwtch

cwtch Well-Known Member

I wear whatever when I ride. Typically I don't buy clothes I can't ride in. (Excluding minimal formal wear).
    Usually I wear a road chamois under whatever shorts or trousers I have on and just ride. One exception is actually for racing and then I gear up.

Pretty cool to do homeless advocacy. It makes sense to wear whatever works when riding. I prefer shorts except when on the BMX bike. But cargo pants make sense. Not sure I am aware what makes them military specs or not. I have a pair of EMT pants that I wear cause they are comfy, they would be okay for cruising around.
    There are a lot of homeless who need help. A good cause to support.

12. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

I typically shy away from anything made of cotton for 'outdoorsey' activities due to what happens to cotton clothing when it gets wet. I'm not familiar with the specifications of a lot of the modern blends, which may have addressed this issue. For touring, I typically wear MTB or other synthetic material shorts over my chamois shorts. Cargo shorts are great for around town or day tours, too. I go back and forth on their utility for long distance touring.

If it's cold enough for long pants, I typically break out a set of synthetic, insulated over-pants which can pull on over MTB and/or chamois shorts. I stick with shorts until driven into long pants due to temperature, precipitation, or both. Thermal tops and bottoms start coming in at some point, depending on conditions.

13. RollingNoMad

I am using my Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008

Attached Files:

14. RollingNoMad

Pretty cool to do homeless advocacy. to you Thank You and It is not easy to do and with the hepatitis a virus outbreak san diego county and Southern California it makes harder to do

My mom has ordered my Tru-Spec 24/7 tactical boot cut pants in khaki for $37.46 times 2 pair for X-Mas