Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Well, that helps. I was pretty disappointed that Cancellara will not be able to race. Roubaix 2010 when he broke away with 48k left and powered to the win is still one of the most awe-inspiring moments in professional cycling to me.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEFqL0mbazw[/ame]

Oh, well. I guess now I can maybe look forward to some nasty conditions and seeing the new S-Works Roubaix.

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can anybody stop him this year?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
A machine? Wow! 28mph avg over cobbles?? Really?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I thought it was great seeing even the chases pop with the pace Boonen was setting. He made himself a legend yesterday.

I saw this from Van Dessel's Tweets during the race, and I thought it was funny. Best part of the race - Flemish commentators arguing like an old married couple: one says it's too early, other says its all good. Then
"It's too soon", "Quit complaining, you say races are too controlled, now he's riding for the record like one of the greats & you complain". I do have to admit, when he and Terpstra seemed to be stuck on a 20s gap, I also thought he had gone much too soon.

I'm pretty sure those were Boonen's big goals for the year, and the team was happy to help him get them. Thought, Terpstra didn't help much on the breakaway, I think he did do a lot disrupting Sky's attempt at an organized chase. I think over the next month, we'll see Boonen transition to more of a support role for the Grand Tour favorites in the team, and maybe even playing support during some of the one-day races left.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I thought it was great seeing even the chases pop with the pace Boonen was setting. He made himself a legend yesterday.

I saw this from Van Dessel's Tweets during the race, and I thought it was funny. Best part of the race - Flemish commentators arguing like an old married couple: one says it's too early, other says its all good. Then
"It's too soon", "Quit complaining, you say races are too controlled, now he's riding for the record like one of the greats & you complain". I do have to admit, when he and Terpstra seemed to be stuck on a 20s gap, I also thought he had gone much too soon.

I'm pretty sure those were Boonen's big goals for the year, and the team was happy to help him get them. Thought, Terpstra didn't help much on the breakaway, I think he did do a lot disrupting Sky's attempt at an organized chase. I think over the next month, we'll see Boonen transition to more of a support role for the Grand Tour favorites in the team, and maybe even playing support during some of the one-day races left.
The fact he was not only able to keep his lead, while those in packs and able to draft, BUT EXTEND it over that amount of distance is PHE flippin NOMINAL! Even in my limited experience with cycling I can see that that was just an incredible feat. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: 5 out of 5;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Boonen confirmed himself as one of the great classic riders, rather than a wheelsucker who waits for the opportune moment to launch. This bodacious unanswerable attack showed the form of his life. I hope his knee tendinitis will not hold him back for the remainder of the season. He could be awesome help in the tour, as well as a green jersey contender.

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Boonen confirmed himself as one of the great classic riders, rather than a wheelsucker who waits for the opportune moment to launch. This bodacious unanswerable attack showed the form of his life. I hope his knee tendinitis will not hold him back for the remainder of the season. He could be awesome help in the tour, as well as a green jersey contender.
Where is the major "like" button!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts