Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to drive for a my job so I'm not able to ride to work. I decided though that I'd start trying to ride more for other commuting reasons. While the bride is at work I was tasked with a run to the store. I was resolved that today would be the day I start riding more so come hell or high water I was biking it to the store. She gave me her list, which included a ten pound bag of cat food. "No problem.", I thought. Then she added, 'Oh and get a case of water.'. Balls!

With my resolve wavering I got the old Performance panniers out (which haven't seen use in years) and I loaded up to go to the store with a light, cold drizzle falling. I had just enough room in the bags for the small stuff and then threw the case of water on top and strapped it down. The load was 25-30 lbs and threw the bike's handling off a little but it was manageable. Having not carried a load like this before I stuck to the bike path and side streets.

It was only 4 miles round trip but it was a great ride and hopefully the start of much more commuting.

PS.

As a treat for my efforts I bought a sweet pair of fleece lined wool gloves for $10.

·
Younger than Hack
746 Posts
Don't give up on riding to work, even though your job requires you to drive. If it is possible drive to work and take your bike with you. Then that evening ride home leaving your vehicle there. Then ride back to work the next day. You get to enjoy the benefits and fun of riding to and from work but you are still able to perform your job in your vehicle.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
Yeah, what GA said.... It's true.

You did better than I would have; no panniers! Any/everything else I could have carried in those 'shopping bags' that stores are selling for a buck each (WalMart has the toughest ones I've tried; the black ones, not the blue). But the case of water would have DQ'd me for that... or her for getting it, as I'm car-free.

A seatpost-mounted rack would handle a case of water, they run about 20 lb.; those racks are rated to 25-30. Maybe I should think about it a bit, you never know....

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
Two or three things,
Nigal, fill out you info card please!

I have those folding wire side Panniers thingys and a insulated bag on top of a well mounted rack that the side racks hook to on my city bike. Works very well. I also have a big bag on the front for small things and I have a very big steel locks.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with you guys that leaving the car at work would be a good way to do it but I'm not able to do that either as my work is 34 miles from my house and I would not want to leave my car somewhere (loaded with medical supplies) over night.

·
Registered
870 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't give up on riding to work, even though your job requires you to drive. If it is possible drive to work and take your bike with you. Then that evening ride home leaving your vehicle there. Then ride back to work the next day. You get to enjoy the benefits and fun of riding to and from work but you are still able to perform your job in your vehicle.
this is how I started my commuting on bike addiction. i have a 12-16 mile trip each way (depending upon the route) and because of work commitments or family commitments, I just couldn't make it work to and from...leaving the car at work, is a great alternative. bike commuting half time is better than nothing.

oh and congrats on the 30lb cargo haul...impressive. i usually limit my store trips to what i can fit in a messenger bag.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today was my most serious commute. We got 12" of snow last night and I had to get to the store for survival provisions. It was pretty hairy on some of the streets that had not been plowed but I made it there and back with some extra miles (7 miles total) thrown in just for fun.

We're going to survive this...

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
B, double-E, double-R, U, N...beer run!

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
Looks nice.

Enjoy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts