Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any riders on here compared speed on a paved trail over distance with the usual momentum stealers, little kids, crossings, stoplights - and riders that don't get over - vs riding on the road itself ??

I have been riding for three years on a hybrid - avg top average speed over distance 12.5-13.2 mph over 15-20 mph really pushing it - mostly limestone

recent road bike carbon convert - highest top speed over entire distance on paved trail - 14.6 over 30 miles - lots of momentum stealers and other bikers, crossings etc , and I am pushing it - no one passes me - well once or twice

but the averages I see on here are very high - do they include warm-up - is it faster on the road ??

My wife & I are loving the ride ! PS ride cadence 85-105 - don't look at the MPH till I am done - but some of the averages I see on here seem unreachable on paved trails - Like fox river trail - geneva to aurora

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I ride considerably faster on roads than paved paths.
Don't compare your times with others here, some of them are really fast with cool bikes on flat terrain and years of experience. There may be a bit of 'puffing' as well. Going out for a quick 40 will never happen for me even if I had a powered bike. Compete with yourself & enjoy your improvement.
Start a blog or journal, something you can refer to and gloat to yourself.

·
348 Posts
That speed is consistent with what I'm averaging on a paved trail. Since it's just as hot at 6pm as it is at 2pm, I found if I went before people got off work, I didn't have to slow as much for the uninformed peds, dogs and salmon joggers. I like your euphemism "momentum stealers"!

I average about 12 mph on the MUPs, can get up to almost 15 on a long straightaway without anyone in view. However, I always slow on a blind curve because you just don't know. On my last ride, I came around one bend and a good sized 8 point buck was standing there. I'd have hit him.

Later a couple of girls on bikes nearly hit me head on because they were side by side covering both lanes. Again, I could dodge and stop because I anticipated the blind curve.

And then there's the dogs on expandable leashes...

I'd rather be a bit slower and have fun on the nice shaded trail than be bent on speed and wipe out. Every trip is an adventure!

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
I average about 8-11 mph on a trail/MUP. No need to push it with a greater chance of pedestrian/cyclist etc collision. I've also found when I am on a trail it is for leisure, no training, but fun.

Like a previous poster said, don't get hung up on other's speeds, times, distances. Ride for yourself. I don't even use a computer on my hybrid or road bike, I use a Forerunner adn then download it to analyze data.

There are a good amount of days (if not 90%) of them that on my family rides I don't even wear that. Becoming a slave to data is like becoming a slave to social media.

Sometimes its nice to just unplug and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
144 Posts
i don't do roads anymore to many close calls.
on paved trails i ave. 13-16mph on my hybrid depending how the terrain is such as freq. xings people trafficand flat or not on my hybrid.

·
348 Posts
bikertank said:
What is MUP ?
A multiple use trail or path.

No you're not sandbagging! Some trails post speed limits of 10-15 mph. Any faster isn't really safe unless there's no one ahead and you have food visibility. It's also a good idea to slow and announce yourself when passing. I had a couple of faster cyclists blow past me the other day and spooked me.

I use my bike computer to just help me see how far going and general speed. I'm not hard core enough to analyze anything yet!

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
I'm just the opposite. I ride on a paved MUP for my daily rides and might do some road riding on the weekend with the bike club I belong to. On the road, the speeds are much slower because some of the roads we ride on don't have bike lanes or aren't all that smooth and we have to contend with traffic. The MUP, on the other hand, is a one way path with two connecting service roads; the only two way traffic areas. About 3/4 of a mile of one of the service roads is the only area that allows vehicle traffic and that is to allow people to get to the run-off parking area. The path is almost as wide as a regular road and is very well maintained The park rangers blow the debris off the path every morning and afternoon (if the winds blow debris from the trees onto the path). On the weekends, the MUP is generally crowded but during the week, you pretty much have the place all to yourself. I absolutely love riding on this MUP.

As for speeds on the MUP, I do about 26-28 of my daily 30 miles at an average of 18-19 mph moving speed with the road bike and 15-17 mph moving speed with the hybrid. However, if I ride with the wife for the entire ride, the speed goes down to 10-12 mph and I usually do that with the hybrid. Regardless if I'm on the MUP or the road, I enjoy every second on the saddle and never concern myself about other riders. I win only when I can outdo myself.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
My wife and I ride the Fox River Trail a couple times a year. The most recent trip was from Aurora to Elgin a few weeks back. I especially enjoyed climbing out of the river valley northbound in St Charles and southbound just south of Elgin.

It's a beautiful trail, but parts are narrow with short sight lines, and it can get crazy busy, especially near the towns. If I wanted to hammer out intervals or go all out for speed, I'd feel a lot safer on low traffic roads.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Binertank,
I believe what you are thinking is true. However, there are many other considerations to consider when comparing different types of bikes (gearing, tire contact patch, bike weight, ect...)

I agree with everyone here, compare yourself to yourself.
Hardly anyone here uses their real name. Could be that you are comparing yourself to the next Lance Armstrong. Could be that you are the next Lance. :)

Anyway, there are different types of road riding. You could compare city riding which has many more stop & go's, slow downs for pedestrians, ect... Many of these riders are much faster than me, but I ride more open roads with fewer stops or required slow downs. This gives me a higher ave speed.
I hope this helps.
If you're ever in North Central WV, let's ride.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Most of my riding was on MUP's but in the last week or so I joined a club and have been riding on the road. I have to admit, I like the road better than riding on the MUP because I can get more miles without doing "laps" on the MUP which to me would have become boring.

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rode on my usual MUP trail today - had best average ever without trying to set a record or be unsafe - sometimes I wish I still lived in KS where I could find some county roads are free of traffic & mostly safe - alot of my ride was 17-18 mph today but there is no way to maintain that or increase it with all the momentum stealers - stops- etc - I hear Milwaukee has a 100mile plus loop around the city - making plans for my first century there

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
bikertank said:
Rode on my usual MUP trail today - had best average ever without trying to set a record or be unsafe......
........ I hear Milwaukee has a 100mile plus loop around the city - making plans for my first century there
Congrats bikertank!!
Let us know how you century goal turns out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts