Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Pedaling Old Man
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are pedals you clip into called "clipless"? I understand the platform designation for "platform" type pedals. I don't understand when you actually clip into a pedal it is called clipless? What is the designation for the cage type pedal I see used on older road or CX bikes, is it a "cage" pedal? If it is I could understand that designation also for that type of pedal. I would have thought the clip type pedal would have been called just that "clipped" not "clip-less". :confused:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I could be wrong, but the was I understood it was that the "cage" part of the pedal was also called a "clip." So when they developed the cleat system you had the advantage of a clip pedal without having to reach down and tighten it! So it became known as "clip-less." But like I said I could have understood it wrong.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Toe clips are like a cage. I allso think clipless pedals have a clip inside that the cleat clips into so why are thay called clipless ??? and what do thay call it when you put the cleat in the pedal, cliping in ??? Verry interesting eh

·
Pedaling Old Man
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We need help....Wild, you bring up an even better point, when you "clip in" your cleats are attached to the pedals, You are then "clipped in". The cage pedals I have seen are just that a "cage" that surrounds your shoe......."clipless", I need to be educated as to the terminology.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Clipless pedals are pedals that don't have toe clips.
Clipless pedals are more like a spring loaded vice sort of thing rather than a clip. So I guess the symantics would be a "clamp in" instead of "clip in"

·
Pedaling Old Man
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dubgurl.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why are pedals you clip into called "clipless"? I understand the platform designation for "platform" type pedals. I don't understand when you actually clip into a pedal it is called clipless? What is the designation for the cage type pedal I see used on older road or CX bikes, is it a "cage" pedal? If it is I could understand that designation also for that type of pedal. I would have thought the clip type pedal would have been called just that "clipped" not "clip-less". :confused:
Before the current "clip in" pedals, the retention system of choice was "toe-clips and straps". When the new pedals arrived on the scene, some idiot referred to them as "clipless" which, I can only assume, was a short form of "toe-clipless". Why the term "click in" or even "clip in" wasn't used is beyond me. I refuse to use the silly term "clipless" (I guess I said it) so to me they are "click or clip in" pedals.

·
rodan
9 Posts
Wikipedia Definition of Clipless Pedals

"Clipless refers to the toe clip (cage) having been replaced by a locking mechanism and not to platform pedals which would normally not have toe clips. The clipless pedal was invented by Charles Hanson in 1895.[3] It allowed the rider to twist the shoe to lock and unlock and had rotational float (the freedom to rotate the shoe slightly to prevent joint strain)."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts