Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on pedals / cleats - I have speedplay frogs but curious what the majority are using ?

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Look Keo Easy

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might add I also only use MTB shoes - can't stand road bike shoes - I know that goes against the RULES - slip off pedals too easy with road bike shoes - especially after unclipping

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
I started with Shimano SPD M520 MTB pedals and have continued using them. I like them better then some of the road pedals that I tried prior to the M520s.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
I might add I also only use MTB shoes - can't stand road bike shoes - I know that goes against the RULES - slip off pedals too easy with road bike shoes - especially after unclipping
I ride road with SPD SLs yellow. I find it more difficult to clip into my MTB than the SLs.

Why do you feet slip with road pedals and shoes?

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After unclipping and balancing & coasting - lights - crossings etc - the road bikes slip because there is no back section to grab the pedal with

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
The OP is probably reffering to walking in riding shoes.

A few weeks ago I dropped my truck off for service. I used my bike back and forth. I dropped off my truck on Sunday when they were closed all went well. I picked it up on Tuesday while they were open. Sales people and customers were present. I bet you know where this is going......

I got off my bike and people were looking at me that it was odd someone would ride into a car lot with a bike. Well it didnt take long for the entertainment to begin. I got off my bike lifted it into the bed and hopped into the bed in my finest athletic form and went ass over heels when my plastic cleats came in contact with my bed liner. Ego bruised greatly and the bike stood still like the fine steed it is.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Among the pedal systems I've used are SPD, Crank Brothers and Time ATAC. I prefer Time ATAC of those I've used. I've never used the Frogs, but I believe they are an excellent system. They can be difficult to install, sometimes requires trimming of shoe soles, but if you have them installed and working properly, I wouldn't think about changing. I don't think you can upgrade from Speedplay. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Look Keo Classic. Love my pedals. Mine came quite loose and I had to tighten as I didnt feel as secure with it being so easy to unclip.

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problems with the frogs on nice MTB shoes - except for minor foot pain after ~ 16 miles - used to get it rollerblading on the one foot also - probably not a shoe or pedal issue

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
I like the Candy pedals from crank brothers myself.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well it's been a number of different variants through the years, I started with ordinary pedals then a friend talked me into using clips, then I bought my trike and the usual variant there was SPD so I used Shimanos SPD but I wasn't entirely pleased with the cleat position and didn't like sitting and searching for the right position to click-in. After reading about the three cleat positions I found that I really should go for the midfoot-position. The problem was that there are no shoes for that position, so you have to modify a pair of shoes with holes for the midposition, when I was in that modifying process I came across the Terra Trikes Strapped Heel Support Pedals. I bought them and they work very well, you can use any shoes you like and the axle are in the midfoot position

·
889 Posts
Look Keo2 Max for my road bike. Shimano SPD for my MTB. Both systems work and I don't find one easier or harder to get into than the other.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Crank Brothers Egg-beaters or Candy's for the win!
(I'm a MTB'er, not a roadie or commuter)

·
39 Posts
Shimano PD-A530 SPD Dual Platform Bike Pedal

I decided on these because I wanted dual platform. I thought it would be easier to hop on the bike and take a quick spin if I was adjusting brakes or deraillers without having to change shoes. These are the only ones I've ever had, so I really can't compare them to any others. So far, I like them.

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HipstrDufus - I really like this idea - the most difficult part of a ride when you are tired and in the zone is crossings, stoplights etc - it makes sense to get on the pedals and get across and then clip in at your leisure when you are safely on the trial

·
190 Posts
Me Too

Shimano PD-A530 SPD Dual Platform Bike Pedal

I decided on these because I wanted dual platform. I thought it would be easier to hop on the bike and take a quick spin if I was adjusting brakes or deraillers without having to change shoes. These are the only ones I've ever had, so I really can't compare them to any others. So far, I like them.
I just added these for the same reason myself. I got the black ones, but paint chipping from the cleat. I am happy with them.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts