pedals/shoes

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by London, Nov 28, 2009.

1. London

London Guest

Don't laugh but I've been using old LOOK pedals and shoes for years now. I haven't bought a new system in at least 12 years. I don't seem to wear LOOK clipless systems out. But I wanted to know what you guys consider state-of-the-art road racing clipless pedal systems today. Shoes included. I'm going to get a few new items for Xmass and need ideas. Thanks.

Only interested in speed gear. No touring, MTBing. Racing only.

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Sure they'll be a big Keo vs Speedplay debate started. Never ridden the Speedplay, but I love my Keos. If you have any specific questions on them, I'd be glad to help. I like the big platform of the pedal, and have never pulled a foot out. One negative, in relation to the Speedplays is the single sided entry. But racing, this shouldn't be as much of a problem. Just a little ackward at intersections.

As far as shoes. I finally splurged on a set of Side Ergo II's after never being able to get comfortable in my Specialized BG Pro's. The Sidi's seem almost infinitely adjustable and are super stiff. I really like the heel clasp system as well. Even the all black never felt too hot in the summer as the ventilation is very good. Only thing, if you do buy them, keep an eye on the pin on the boa adjuster. I had one fall out, and had to get a replacement adjuster. Since then, I've been keeping a closer eye on it, and periodically have to push the pin back in.

3. London

London Guest

4. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

London, here's a review of the new Keo Max that might be helpful in your decision making. I'm considering adding a pair of these to my Christmas list.

Look Keo 2 Max - Bike Hugger

5. poopiehead

poopiehead New Member

keo's are by far the road race standard pedals. I use and love them.

I second the awkward speedplay engagement problems -- haven't tried them myself, but my friend and I trained a lot together last spring and his speedplays were always troublesome for him to re-engage after any sort of stop