Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get some clipless pedals for the Schwinn. As always, any recommendations?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Depending on how long you ride, I've used crank bros-egg beaters. They are very easy to clip in and out of but are not great for rides longer than 40-50 miles as your feet get hot. Better at commuting etc. I switched to shimano 105's and they are way better. Large surface, easy to clip in/out and adjustable tension control (start on lightest tension of course). feet don't hurt or get hot. Find them on ebay for around 60-80 bucks or LBS for 100. Ultegras are same just a bit heavier, but I couldn't tell the diff holding the two. hence 105's.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found 105s online (sorry LBS) for $42. Will prob get those as they will be the same price as EggBeaters. Thanks Shak!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I use Shimano PD-M540's on my mtb

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
egg-beaters are the best pedals i have ever owned... on my road bike i am on look keo 2 max carbon pedals. i have tried everything and found for everyday riding nothing beats egg beaters for durability, ease of use and quick in and out. plus they look good on the bike.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
i set the tension towards the middle they are adjustable from 12nm to 18 and i set them up at 15nm(the max setting for the keo) and use the 4.5 degree cleats. the reason for me is simple, if i set the tension to high i have trouble clipping in. i am on the light side... but i like enough tension to feel secure when out of the saddle climbing.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
517 Posts
The blades i'm running don't have tension adjustment, they are available with 2 different springs. I'm running the 16nm springs which is the higher tension of the 2 with the grey cleats. My look rep told me the 16nm springs for the blades would be like a keo 2 max turned up 2 clicks from the middle.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I switched out my Shimano 105's, for Shimano Ultegra 6700's since the rest of the bike is Ultegra and love how smooth they are in and out..

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
The blades i'm running don't have tension adjustment, they are available with 2 different springs. I'm running the 16nm springs which is the higher tension of the 2 with the grey cleats. My look rep told me the 16nm springs for the blades would be like a keo 2 max turned up 2 clicks from the middle.
that is one click above where i set mine but i would be fine with that and we run the same cleats... you have lighter and nicer pedals with the same setup as what i do virtually!

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
517 Posts
I really like the look pedals. I like the real positive engagement. I like that you can feel where the float stops. My experience with egg beater was the opposite of that. I kind of want to pick up another set and play with them a bit more.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,613 Posts
the look is a much firmer pedal in my opinion... a true road pedal. the beaters are just very simple and worry free, light weight, long lasting and easy to use. a great low level hassle free zero maintenance pedal that is mtb great an works for casual riding and commuting... but will never be on my road bike.

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
517 Posts
I tried a pair of egg beater SLs back when I was mountain biking more. I thought they had to light of action. I couldnt feel where the float stopped and kept coming out of them all the time, so I sold them in favor of SPD pedal. I definitely prefer road style pedals on my road/fixed gear bikes though. Much firmer feeling. When you're clipped in you're clipped in. You have to make a choice to clip out it won't just happen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes Ultegra's are lighter than 105's, my typo boo boo..not sure by how much though, about 30g each I think.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
I like the Look Keo pedals. My bike has the Keo Easy and my wife's bike has the Keo 2Max pedals. I like hers better. We both use the 4.5 degree float, the pedals are great!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Weav you are making a HUGE mistake. Your wife might be reading this, and then your excuse is done. Makes almost as much sense as a fisherman that carries scales and a tape. Gee that monster was so big I could barely lift it, and then on the scale and tape is was a whole 6 inches long and less than a pound. No good fish story can be documented with the truth. Same with cycling.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts