Pedals

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Last_Place_Pete, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Last_Place_Pete

Last_Place_Pete New Member

Looking to get some clipless pedals for the Schwinn. As always, any recommendations?

2. shakabra

shakabra New Member

Depending on how long you ride, I've used crank bros-egg beaters. They are very easy to clip in and out of but are not great for rides longer than 40-50 miles as your feet get hot. Better at commuting etc. I switched to shimano 105's and they are way better. Large surface, easy to clip in/out and adjustable tension control (start on lightest tension of course). feet don't hurt or get hot. Find them on ebay for around 60-80 bucks or LBS for 100. Ultegras are same just a bit heavier, but I couldn't tell the diff holding the two. hence 105's.

3. Last_Place_Pete

Last_Place_Pete New Member

Found 105s online (sorry LBS) for $42. Will prob get those as they will be the same price as EggBeaters. Thanks Shak!!

4. Garilia

Garilia New Member

I use Shimano PD-M540's on my mtb

5. DirtyBobbysBikes

DirtyBobbysBikes Rollin Solo like Han...

6. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

egg-beaters are the best pedals i have ever owned... on my road bike i am on look keo 2 max carbon pedals. i have tried everything and found for everyday riding nothing beats egg beaters for durability, ease of use and quick in and out. plus they look good on the bike.

7. DirtyBobbysBikes

How do you run the tension on your keos SG? Just curious.

8. SprocketGirl

i set the tension towards the middle they are adjustable from 12nm to 18 and i set them up at 15nm(the max setting for the keo) and use the 4.5 degree cleats. the reason for me is simple, if i set the tension to high i have trouble clipping in. i am on the light side... but i like enough tension to feel secure when out of the saddle climbing.

9. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  10. DirtyBobbysBikes

The blades i'm running don't have tension adjustment, they are available with 2 different springs. I'm running the 16nm springs which is the higher tension of the 2 with the grey cleats. My look rep told me the 16nm springs for the blades would be like a keo 2 max turned up 2 clicks from the middle.

11. M_Wales

M_Wales New Member

I switched out my Shimano 105's, for Shimano Ultegra 6700's since the rest of the bike is Ultegra and love how smooth they are in and out..

12. SprocketGirl

that is one click above where i set mine but i would be fine with that and we run the same cleats... you have lighter and nicer pedals with the same setup as what i do virtually!

13. DirtyBobbysBikes

I really like the look pedals. I like the real positive engagement. I like that you can feel where the float stops. My experience with egg beater was the opposite of that. I kind of want to pick up another set and play with them a bit more.

14. SprocketGirl

the look is a much firmer pedal in my opinion... a true road pedal. the beaters are just very simple and worry free, light weight, long lasting and easy to use. a great low level hassle free zero maintenance pedal that is mtb great an works for casual riding and commuting... but will never be on my road bike.

15. DirtyBobbysBikes

I tried a pair of egg beater SLs back when I was mountain biking more. I thought they had to light of action. I couldnt feel where the float stopped and kept coming out of them all the time, so I sold them in favor of SPD pedal. I definitely prefer road style pedals on my road/fixed gear bikes though. Much firmer feeling. When you're clipped in you're clipped in. You have to make a choice to clip out it won't just happen.

16. shakabra

shakabra New Member

Yes Ultegra's are lighter than 105's, my typo boo boo..not sure by how much though, about 30g each I think.

17. Weav

Weav GiddyUp

I like the Look Keo pedals. My bike has the Keo Easy and my wife's bike has the Keo 2Max pedals. I like hers better. We both use the 4.5 degree float, the pedals are great!

18. DirtyBobbysBikes

Usually it's the other way around.

19. Weav

Weav GiddyUp

my wife is a stronger cyclist than me, so I have to have something to blame it on.

20. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Weav you are making a HUGE mistake. Your wife might be reading this, and then your excuse is done. Makes almost as much sense as a fisherman that carries scales and a tape. Gee that monster was so big I could barely lift it, and then on the scale and tape is was a whole 6 inches long and less than a pound. No good fish story can be documented with the truth. Same with cycling.