Pedego - making electric-assist cool and fun!

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Industry_Hack, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

So while I was at Interbike, I got to take a closer look at the Pedego line of electric-assist bicycles. They offer traditional style cruisers, step-through models, folders, and even a tandem.

While they all sport a fairly large battery, as well as a hub motor, they’re designed so that neither jumps out at you, screaming “ELECTRIC BIKE”. Quite the opposite - with the exception of the folders, you might not even realize that they’re anything but really cool looking cruisers. With some classic color combos as well as a few modern touches, they could even be passed off as a fashion accessory. Either way, they definitely look fun, especially when you add in the optional Schwalbe Fat Frank balloon tire option. While they weigh in around 60lbs, that’s not such a huge penalty over something like an Electra cruiser. It can be pedaled comfortably on flat ground without any assist.

The key demographic doesn’t appear to be existing cyclists, but those that want something suitable for slower paced, or shorter weekend rides, or maybe a short trip to work or the market, without the worry of running out of human steam halfway home.

Comments welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I was looking in to getting something like that for my commute but the wife put the brakes on it quickly something about it being lazy or me or something. I don't know. What's the difference between full electric and electric assist?

4. berniegreen

berniegreen Guest

It's best to choose a package that will provide twice your normal daily mileage. It's difficult to guess the mileage from the watt/hour capacity, because actual performance depends on the bicycle and motor efficiency, battery type, road conditions, and your weight and level of fitness.

5. Industry_Hack

Depending on rider weight and terrain, the range is estimated to be 15-30 miles per charge. Top speed is 20MPH, with the possibility of higher speeds if you're up to putting in the pedal effort. That's per the brochure in front of me.

It really depends on how much assist you use - ie: just for hills, or because you're burnt out on the way home from work on Monday and want to zip along.

Full electric has no option for using your own power. This one supplements the rider's efforts with an electric motor, as required.

[edited for accuracy]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  6. Industry_Hack

I've edited my post, based on their brochure.

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Thanks Industry. I'll point my wife in this direction. I'm not lazy I'm tired

8. craisin

craisin New Member

hey that just sounded funny.
    Im always a bit tired comes with a hard life and old age
    to lazy to have a wife too much like hard work
    My New Year Resolution will be try to be nice to ladies:thumbsup:
    dont know how long i can keep it up

9. craisin

craisin New Member

14 minutes to 2010 happy new year

10. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

I see quite a few electric bikes in England. What I like about them is a person can arrive at the office without having worked up a sweat to sit in all day. That has to count for something. Plus they are quiet and do not pollute their immediate area.