People at LBS make the difference

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Skidmark, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

This past weekend my wife was shopping for her first road bike. We have four LBS within the same driving distance. Closest one was a Trek store. As we entered a woman greeted us asking if she could assist. As my wife started to explain that she had never been on a road bike but wanted one for group riding, touring, and hopefully some half and full century rides. She also was attempting to say that comfort was as important as speed as this was not intended to be "race" bike but wanted more speed than her comfort hybrid. The sales lady basicly blocked our approach to the road bikes instead, insisted my wife look at another hybrid with thinner tires and upright riding position. Being polite my wife rode it one lap around the lot, then stated franky that it was just like her bike with thin tires, and that she wanted to look at a Madone. With a bit of "superior attatude" it was explained in detail how dangerous a road bike was for beginners without experience. Group rides were dangerous and took a lot of concentration, and finally the road bikes were for serious riders and needed pedals to ride! She then recluctantly pulled out a entry level road bike, saying the Madone was a "next level" bike. We thanked her for her time and left the store. Headed to the Specialized store where were greeted with enthusam and offers to ride anything in the store. She did! Unfortiounatly they did not have the womans specific all CF bike that my wife liked a LOT in her size. They were happy to order it though even if just to try. Instead there is another Trek store 12 miles further, SAME owner as first store so you can imagine my expectation. A young (they are all looking younger these days) greeted us. Instantly a different feeling as he anounced that she should ride several road bikes to sort a few out, then if she had time get on this trainer thing and get one fitted right. NO purchase needed or even comitment. They drug down a Tri bike from the celing (hated it), three Madones in different sizes, changed stems, adjusted, and tweaked for two hours! Rode those things on a half dozen three mile test rides and the trainer. In the end they did not have the correct size Madone she liked, but quickly offered to GO to the OTHER store and get it, set it up, and invited my wife back to ride tonight with the fitter guy. Still no request for cash or deposit, nothing! Nothing but encouragment from these guys, offers for beginner group rides, etc. My wife gave them a 50% deposit on the way out. Who you hire to represent you makes all the difference! The week before I had shopped at the Specialized store and drove them nuts calling back changing my mind three times on bikes they just kept saying no problem thanks the business. LBS, like many business are only as good as who works there!

2. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

What a great story!!! Thanks for sharing. My LBS, Bike Barn Racing in Whitman, MA was really good to me and sold me on my first road bike, almost before I had even tested one out. Its all about the service. It can be overwhelming when you realize you are about to spend a couple grand on a bicycle. You want to make sure you get the one thats right for you. Congrats to your wife on her new purchase. I think she will have many years of enjoyment on her new road bike.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I've yet to have a pleasant experience in a Trek store. Locally, we have one shop that regularly provides me with two standard answers - "We don't carry that", and "I don't know". The other local shop has been able to meet my odd requests, takes time to shoot the breeze, and if they don't have something, will either order it and have it in a few days, or suggest I try the shop down the street, even though they're competitors.

Having worked in a shop myself, plus run my own web business, I may have different expectations. But I cannot understand why the first shop doesn't even want to try and make a sale. The second shop is less concerned about making a sale than about getting my bike back together.

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

You would think with such a cool job, with I'm sure a commission on the line, they would be the nicest people in the world. I've never been steered away from an expensive car but I have been turned away from an expensive bike, and shown the less expensive one. I think I smell poor or, stupid or something. Whatever it is I am dedicated to finding good bikes online without dealing with the LBS. After that experience I went to another LBS and was ignored for twenty minutes while this kid behind the counter talked about energy drinks with a man in tight pants. I gave up all hope.

5. Industry_Hack

So much to work with here, but I'll just let it go.

I walked into the Harley dealer with $14k in cash in my pocket, (yes, it's bad for your back) and couldn't get anyone to take my money.

6. baj32161

baj32161 American Expatriate Tavern Member

can I be your best friend:D

7. Industry_Hack

It's all gone. Every penny. I'm selling off toys to pay for the wedding and more work on our house.

8. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

Two LBS told us there was no commision for selling a bike.

9. Industry_Hack

The one I worked at didn't offer commission either. Just $18/hr.

10. waldowales

waldowales New Member

I took my granddaughter and her friend to my favorite bike shop a couple of weeks ago. We told them we weren't sure what kind of bikes they wanted, they wanted to try a few. After nearly three hours, we left with two entry level bikes, one road and one hybrid. They went the extra mile fitting them, trading saddles, installing tire liners and bottle cages, etc. The girls are tickled pink with their bikes, and stacking on the miles.
    These kids will be buying better, more expensive bikes before long. Guess where they will go first for the next bikes?

11. Industry_Hack

Taylor's, in Provo? Certainly not Mad Dog, in Orem. :rolleyes:

12. waldowales

waldowales New Member

I guess it's alright to name names? Laketown Bicycles in West Jordan. 1520 west 90th south. Couple of young fellows who used to work at other shops opened it last summer.

13. Industry_Hack

I'll check them out next time I'm up that way.

14. greenhorn

greenhorn greenhorn

There are quite a few bike shops within 15 miles of my house. Some of them would never sell an entry level bike. They keep talking you up to a better bike, not really interested in what kind of riding you really want to do. Then others let you explain what you're looking for and actually tell you a $2000 bike is not needed for what I want. It's nice when a bike shop actually listens to the customer, then goes from there and gives you the options. I would think, commission or no commission, treating the customer with respect and decency should be number 1.

15. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Did you show them the money? I would have showed them the money.

I've had jobs that payed less. If you consider how many hours a week I put in I make less than that. So if your well payed what up with being a D-Bag? Is it cause at that point every one is a fred and must be looked down on?

16. Industry_Hack

If I waved that wad around, there's a good chance I would have gone home without it, and without a new motorcycle.

At the shop I worked at, they didn't care how many bikes we sold, or how much they cost. The owners didn't reward big sales, they just wanted to see cyclists on the right bike for them. We had over 2,000 bikes in stock.

17. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I think that's a great attitude. It keeps people form selling people bikes they don't need.

18. Industry_Hack

We also spent as much time as necessary working with customers on fit.

19. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Is the shop still in business?

20. Industry_Hack

Yes, with three locations.