Two Spoke Forums banner

Which is it? You pick my 100 Miles of Nowhere route.

• Do the rollers again. Train your brain, man!

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Hill repeats. Blow up those legs!

Votes: 9 90.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, guys and gals. I've decided I'm going to let you all decide which misery I subject myself to on this year's 100 Miles of Nowhere. The "ride" is a fundraising event put on by FatCyclist.com in order to raise money for Livestrong. Here's the uniqueness of it. You really don't go anywhere, hence the name. Last year I did it on rollers. Let me tell you that was a huge mental challenge. Fat Cyclist last year opened the option for one to ride a super short route over and over instead of just doing it on a trainer/rollers. That's why I want your help this year.

So, my question is should I do it on the rollers again, or do hill repeats on a 2.2 mile climb that gains an ominous sounding 666 feet? I guess that would equate to 23 times up and down with about 15,000 feet of elevation gain. Option 1, the rollers, would be mentally draining. Option 2 would be physically punishing. So which is it?

Here's more info on it. If you hurry, you might could get in too. http://www.fatcyclist.com/2012/04/17/register-now-for-the-2012-100-miles-of-nowhere/

·
Two skinny J's
21,320 Posts
I vote hill repeats! I could NEVER do that! Can you do 1/2 and 1/2?

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fat Cyclist said to do the hill repeats, so I voted that on his behalf.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I voted hill repeats, but like the idea of half and half.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, hill repeats won the vote here and on Facebook. And let me tell you, that was worse than the rollers; especially physically, but also mentally. When I was on number 4 of 20-22 repeats knowing there were so many left still, it was a metal challenge. At lunchtime, 51 miles in, knowing how hard the first half had been already, it was tough. Mile 80 when it started raining, very hard. In fact, it was crazy-hard on the legs, but even harder on the brain.

But...it's done. I played around with my GoPro on the first several laps. So, if I do some creative editing and make the footage look halfway cool, I'll post it on here.

garmin from phone.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
It's almost as if you were climbing the same hill over and over and over :D

·
Two skinny J's
21,320 Posts
Thanks! Me too! :)

How's this for a ride profile?

View attachment 5942
I really honestly could not even begin to imagine the intense burn, mental fray and final collapse when it was all over... wouldn't want to either!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts