Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are on your ride and you come across a pile of glass or see a stray nail do you get off and grab it? I was out around the neighborhood with a Dude down the street, there was a glass smashed on the side walk, so I dismounted, found a trash can (he even said I was breaking the law by using some one elses trash cam) and through away all I could pick up. He was shocked by it.

I do more when I'm walking, I see more, but I my grandfather when I was kid stressed to me that it was everyone's responsibly to ensure the safety and beauty of a neighborhood. Am I alone?

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,616 Posts
if i can i try to pick stuff up (if traffic and safety allows). it is amazing how much stuff is in our road ways and even trails. on cx rides i have had to move furniture to finish my ride. on a bike it is hard to clean up someones discarded living room set.
people are disappointing at times are they not?
way to go!

·
Two skinny J's
21,369 Posts
Fun we need more of you! The short answer, sadly no... If I am riding it's generally rural ( meaning I have no where to hold it or no where to throw it away properly) and I'm trying to avoid it.... Now if my wife and I are out walking I am much more inclined to pick up trash especially in our neighbor hood. It amazes me to still see people throw trash out their windows. I truly believe that a sense of community is something that is mostly forgotten now. I'd be willing to bet 1/2 the people here don't even know their neighbor well enough to do anything other than maybe give a wave as they go by. Trash on the side of the road is pretty ugly and a dumped ashtray is even worse.

There is a program here in Virginia called Adopt-a-Highway and locally it seem to work well. There is a small private school close and they use this program to teach the kids "Sense of Community" among other things.

Sorry, got a little off track there.

I can't imagine using someone's garbage can being an issue to throw away small amounts of trash you have picked up in their community to make it a better place...I could be wrong tho. It's not a mailbox afterall :D

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I kept the 4" bolt that went through the back tire of my Harley. It caused about $800 in damage. If there's debris in the street when I'm walking my dogs or riding my bike, I try to clean that up too. Even though karma has failed me.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I'd be willing to bet 1/2 the people here don't even know their neighbor well enough to do anything other than maybe give a wave as they go by. Trash on the side of the road is pretty ugly and a dumped ashtray is even worse.
My neighbors all know me, even though they don't see me in church. (We live in the middle of Mormon country) It probably has something to do with our epic July 4th grill and fireworks extravaganza. We had about somewhere between 40-60 people show up last year.

Dumped ashtray is 2nd only to lit cigarettes out the car window. Truly, people should be shot for that.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Yes I get stuff off the road, I just kick it over to the sholder as it might be 5 miles or more befor you see a trash can. At least it is of the road where it will get a tire.

·
1,355 Posts
I usually stop and pick up screws and nails that I see on the road. It's good karma.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems a good mix, I don't hold it against you if you don't, I've been in situations that could have been prevented had some one picked up the glass, nails, etc. so I see it as vital that others can avoid the mess.

As for karma, meh. I'm in this for the free meals.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That is awesomely of you. A few weeks ago when I was riding, it was at night, this car wouldn't get over so she forced me to go through two glass bottles. Ahh, it got me. Oh yes! Can you tell me how to post something? I'm a newbie ><

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is awesomely of you. A few weeks ago when I was riding, it was at night, this car wouldn't get over so she forced me to go through two glass bottles. Ahh, it got me. Oh yes! Can you tell me how to post something? I'm a newbie ><
PM sent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts