Two Spoke Forums banner

3781 - 3794 of 3794 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,369 Posts

These are oyster beds, kinda hard to tell.

·
Two skinny J's
21,369 Posts
Baby sitting grandkids and dogs, new MTB ride. REALLY want a do over with more time.

This is 95 south of DC

Trash dump from the interstate work... sickening

Post ride muddy

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,934 Posts
Looks like a 1x version of my anthemX......with orange accents.

Reactions: rola643

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,223 Posts

The real start of the CO Trail at the head of Waterton Canyon. Singletrack begins just beyond the bend.

Nice and rocky, but not bad so far.

Bighorn ewes a ways down the canyon.

The rams are a little more impressive.

·
Old, fat, and slow
803 Posts
How did a Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix end up looking like a cross between a wolf, a bat, and a German Shepherd?

I had to rethink scale when i realized your bent probably has 20-inch wheels, but still .... ease off the canine steroids. :D

Also thanks for shots of the MTB folder .... and the bent but the folder is rarer.

And ... when are you inviting us all out for a week's riding vacation? :D

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,223 Posts
How did a Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix end up looking like a cross between a wolf, a bat, and a German Shepherd?

I had to rethink scale when i realized your bent probably has 20-inch wheels, but still .... ease off the canine steroids. :D

Also thanks for shots of the MTB folder .... and the bent but the folder is rarer.

And ... when are you inviting us all out for a week's riding vacation? :D
😂🤣😂
Thanks, Mr. Maelochs! You gave me and Mrs. Newleaf a good laugh 😅. For purposes of scale, the 'bent has a 20" wheel in back, 16" in front. Chip's trailer has a 16" wheel. You can't tell from this pic, but he is quite the long legged not-so-little guy. Based on the size of his ears, we could easily have named him 'Radar'. See how I dated myself there?

I'm glad you enjoyed the folding MTB pics. I love all my bikes, but that one is probably the single most fun to ride. Also to transport. As for the CO Trail, you're thus far the only one who's shown interest. Wanna go? I'm not sure about my fitness level for this year, but I can make airport pickups or arrange long term parking for well known members. Mrs. Newleaf and I live within easy riding distance of the starting point.

For some gas and food money, I can likely be talked into driving to Durango CO where the trail ends to make a pickup. Unless, of course, you want to do it up ride and yo-yo that bad boy!

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,934 Posts
That is mega cool offer and hospitality..............wish I had time off to drive up and take ya up on that offer but alas.....not retired and so many things needing attention around here and job and and and............dangit! All that cold weather and super groovy scenery too! Sounds and looks like so much fun. Also the lung workout for basically a sea level dweller............

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,223 Posts
That is mega cool offer and hospitality..............wish I had time off to drive up and take ya up on that offer but alas.....not retired and so many things needing attention around here and job and and and............dangit! All that cold weather and super groovy scenery too! Sounds and looks like so much fun. Also the lung workout for basically a sea level dweller............
The altitude is a concern, especially on the CO Trail. Its average elevation is just over 10k feet, and it tops out over 13k. Oh, and there's 90k feet of climbing involved in the 567mi trek. All that said, people come from sea level to ride the trail every year. Ditto CO's high mountain roads. It is my understanding that a high fitness level can be combined with a few days of altitude acclimation create a successful ride. If I were the one coming from sea level, I would definitely research altitude sickness and be ready with quick energy food and a plan. I'd also be more concerned over my own fitness and MTB skill levels.

Another important factor, judging by reports from more than a few through riders, is hiking boots and flat pedals. Apparently the trail involves 80-100+mi of hike-a-bike depending on conditions, rider skill level, and equipment. It can get very steep, rocky, and broken in spots. Enough so that even world traveling bikepacking racers end up hiking significant segments. Thus the hiking boots. It can be done in cycling shoes, but the consensus seems to be that hiking boots are the better choice for most riders.

It's a big commitment, but a cool thing about the trail is that it offers views and scenery which are simply not available except to cyclists, equestrians, and hikers. Unlike the Great Divide Trail, it's not possible to drive the CO Trail at all. It certainly does cross through towns and over roads, but for the most part, it runs through the back country. A satellite tracker or PLB (personal locator beacon) is highly recommended, as is bear spray. I understand satellite trackers can be rented these days, and bear spray is relatively inexpensive.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,223 Posts
Now back to the pics! From my recent rainy rides:

A great blue heron looking for lunch. Note the insect catcher in the background.

Fruit trees in bloom.

Cool sculpture on both sides of the trail ;).

Yay, rain!

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,934 Posts
fitness, gear and skills, check.....main concerns would be altitude acclimation and not being meal for bear or cougar.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,223 Posts
fitness, gear and skills, check.....main concerns would be altitude acclimation and not being meal for bear or cougar.
Bear attacks are extremely rare, cougar attacks even more so. That said, bear spray works on both. Or, if you're good with firearms and willing to carry a large caliber hand gun, those can be an option as well. Alternatively, bring a companion who is not as fast as you are :sneaky:.

3781 - 3794 of 3794 Posts