Two Spoke Forums banner

3801 - 3820 of 3825 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
Rare Colorado Mountain Heron?
It's a Great Blue Heron with its long, thin neck folded in a fashion which is characteristic, but features geometry that makes my head hurt. They are common out here around lakes and waterways. They live year round out your way, too, but as a large-ish bird among giants. Out here, they're one of the biggest bird species to be seen and all the more impressive for it :).

·
Spin Spin Spin
3,963 Posts
20210605_125523.jpg

Can you see the waterfall? Don't trip, it's above the right grip.....

·
Registered
798 Posts
A few pics from the first organized bike event in the Jefferson County, NY area since 2019 - the Shelterbox Ride; a charity ride to benefit the Shelterbox organization that provides emergency shelter and supplies to people all over the world - ShelterBox USA - Disaster relief NGO provides emergency shelter

This event has a 50, 25, and 10 mile (family) ride lengths and usually draws a fair number of people, especially for the 50, but this time the open field normally used to park cars was stuffed full and overflowed, people had to park along the streets and other places in the village - and that was just for the 50 mile ride that starts earlier than the other two.

People were certainly ready to get back to some normalcy and there were a lot of happy-seeming people, ready to ride. And even though it is not a race nor timed people were ready to race, some anyway.

In the first pic (somehow I started out lined up in the front - that didn't last) Tom, an aqcantance and the charity organizer, can be seen in the purple shirt. He does an encridble job organizing this thing.

Second pic - two groups of people flew past me and headed up the first hill and were gone; my wife can be seen ahead of me in this pic, in the orange and pic jersey in the center of the photo.

Third pic - my temporary group before everyone spread out, heading up the hill. There was another group behind us, or two.

Great ride, lots of hills and the wind was super-badl a lot of people just aren't used to sustained winds that high and gusts that were significant. But a great ride.

·
Old, fat, and slow
860 Posts
Sounds like a terrible day. I feel really sorry for all you guys.

I guess not every event can be a resounding success.

I can see why most folks joined: "Bill Saiff’s West View Lodge to Stony Point Lighthouse, to Wehle State Park, to Association Island RV Park for a gourmet Rest Stop, through Henderson Harbor, to Westcott Beach State Park, scenic North and South Harbor Roads and return to Bill Saiff’s West View Lodge for a celebration, spaghetti and meatball lunch." Basically this was a Food Cruise with a party ....... I cannot even contemplate "gourmet rest stop." The words don't make sense to me.

Here's part of the problem--53.3 miles · +1,523 ft of climbing. Way too much climbing ... they should have scheduled the ride in Flatahoma. And the the organizers ordered extra wind? Bad idea.

Looks like a good cause. Too bad it wasn't better attended.

Last question---did you let your wife beat you to the line?

·
Registered
798 Posts
There was no official line but no, haha, I did not let her beat me.

But she did get to the special bike cookies first so I think that's a win for her.

BTW, my Garmin said 1765 elevation gain overall ;)

Sounds like a terrible day. I feel really sorry for all you guys.

I guess not every event can be a resounding success.

I can see why most folks joined: "Bill Saiff’s West View Lodge to Stony Point Lighthouse, to Wehle State Park, to Association Island RV Park for a gourmet Rest Stop, through Henderson Harbor, to Westcott Beach State Park, scenic North and South Harbor Roads and return to Bill Saiff’s West View Lodge for a celebration, spaghetti and meatball lunch." Basically this was a Food Cruise with a party ....... I cannot even contemplate "gourmet rest stop." The words don't make sense to me.

Here's part of the problem--53.3 miles · +1,523 ft of climbing. Way too much climbing ... they should have scheduled the ride in Flatahoma. And the the organizers ordered extra wind? Bad idea.

Looks like a good cause. Too bad it wasn't better attended.

Last question---did you let your wife beat you to the line?

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
Someone needs to import trails like those to Flatahoma.
I am certainly lucky to live where I live! The Denver area has an incredible trail network, and our wet Spring has really brought the vegetation out. What an enhancement to our scenery all the green has been.

I am grateful to get to enjoy it, but I have to say that I really enjoyed riding the Withlacoochie State Trail out in your neck of the woods. I'd like to hit that one up again, and there are several others in your State that I can hear calling out to me even from here.

·
Two skinny J's
21,453 Posts

Multi use issues :D

Found these to old friends out pedaling the trails this morning.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,300 Posts
From today's metric century with canine companion Chip.

Note the bee in the upper blossom.

The tree blooming in the middle of the creek is a Monkey Cigar Tree, so named for its long brown seed pods. Sadly for some, they cannot actually be smoked ;).

3801 - 3820 of 3825 Posts