Two Spoke Forums banner
3861 - 3880 of 3943 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,806 Posts
We had quite a hodge podge of riders show up today, very interesting mix to honor 911

Drinkware Fluid Liquid Drink Font

Sky Plant Tree Street light Tower
Bicycle Bicycle helmet Bicycle jersey Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wheel

·
Registered
822 Posts
The funny thing with some of these pics I try to take of what is a pretty substantial hill always look a lot less impressive after taking the photo, but this one actually does look like a pretty good hill in the photo.

The weather here is already getting cooler, but it was a nice day yesterday so I took some time off and did a hill day, including this one that somehow I had never done before - I always think that I know nearly every road in my county, at least the ones in my part of the county, but had no idea this hill was there before a few weeks ago, 'hidden' from me on a little-used road. Either that or it spontaneously appeared somehow...

Great hill to climb; 12%+ grade in places, good surface, kinda medium-length and with a surprise near the top in that you might think the grade levels at the curve but it stays steady at max for another distance until the summit where it levels quickly.

Very little traffic, though after I got a little distance past the summit I saw a huge dually tractor hauling ass with a feed trailer pop over the hill behind me, and carefully pass me.

Had the fun of creating a nice hill segment for it on Strava, and within minutes it had populated with others who had ridden it (and within a few minutes I had quickly dropped off the top 10 - apparently everyone else knew about the hill but me...)

A few more hills and then met a few members from our biking group for a group ride.

A bit of a somber ride though, as a couple of our riding friends on this ride are ex-military and we had a bit of a preride discussion about the disturbing three suicides of military members from our local military base that happened over the last three days.

We found out after our ride that one of our friends was hit head-on by a car in the local city, fortunately she was going very slow through the streets and the car had just pulled out from a side street and wacked her head-on, she is banged up, bruised, has some stitches but survived it.

Plant Sky Road surface Tree Natural landscape

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
I used to seek hills out. Not that I’m fast on them, just that i like the challenge and proving to myself i can do it.
This year though, I’ve never found myself in the proper fitness to feel very confident as i approach hills. My last ride found me with serious suffering on climbs during the last 10 miles of the ride. Discouraging but i didn’t give up.
Nice hearing that you sought the challenge and completed it on your own terms.

I hope your cycling friend will be alright and the she doesn’t encounter resistance from the driver in covering medical & repair costs.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,764 Posts
A few from the 2021 Tour of the Moon. Runs through the CO National Monument near the town of Grand Junction, CO.
Sky Mountain Plant Bedrock Natural landscape
Note the tiny cyclists at the foot of one of the Monument's smaller rock formations.

Sky Mountain Cloud Plant community Plant
Getting into the ascent now. Same formation and road as before in the distance. Note the parallel 'roads' in the foreground. All the same road. Hairpin curves and steep grades abound on this section of the route.

Plant Sky Plant community Mountain Bedrock
On the right, a hairpin curve at the base of a middling cliff. On the left, the road curves into the route's first tunnel just out of the shot.

Sky Plant community Plant Cloud Mountain
In the distance, the town of Grand Junction. In the medium distance to the right of center, the road is a section of the route taken from GJ into the Monument. Still climbing at this point, but nearing the top of the 1700ft main ascent.

Attachments

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,764 Posts
Sky Mountain Plant Natural landscape Bedrock
Random scenery :cool:.

Bicycle helmet Sky Helmet Plant Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
See, I really was there! I was even wearing a CO National Monument jersey bought on a previous riding of the event.

Plant Sky Plant community Ecoregion Road surface
Tunnel exit. Note the guard rail and riders on the upper right where the road runs after another hairpin curve. It switches back just as sharply above.

Bicycle Sky Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel
My beloved steed. 19,000mi and still going strong.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sky
Beginning the payoff descent. Note the road far below. Lots of good times in hairpins to come.

Sky Mountain Natural landscape Bedrock Plant
If memory serves, the generous hairpin curve shown is marked '25mph'. Not bad on a route featuring several curves marked for negotiation at 10mph. I...may have exceeded some of those recommendations ;). On the upper left, the yellow jersey of a cyclist is just visible on the road along the top of the cliff running from the left foreground.

·
Two skinny J's
21,806 Posts
Hauling dead weight on a 35 pound steel is real, beach cruiser with MAYBE 28 psi front and rear, single speed but I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Guess I have a smooth pedal stroke that put this one to sleep on the way home :)
Outerwear Blue Automotive tire Automotive lighting Toy

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,764 Posts
I pushed my bike up the stairs from the Allegheny river trail to the Belmar bridge. It’s an incredible bridge. You can see the river trail running beneath it.
Great pics, Longjohn! Thank you for bringing us along for the ride. Climbing stairs while pushing your bike is no joke. Awesome (y).

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,764 Posts
So VERY COOL ^!!!
Thanks for sharing the ride. I’d love to do that.
Thanks, Dos. I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. The ride happens every September. Registration usually opens around Feb. Given some of the stuff you've posted, I don't expect you'd have trouble with the grades or curves. Way different scenery :love:. It's a unique ride in an unusual locale.

·
Two skinny J's
21,806 Posts
Water Sky Boat Cloud Sunlight

·
Two skinny J's
21,806 Posts
Stretch limo boat?
I've always heard them called "deadrise" boats but I think that really defines the angle of the bottom of the boat. Probably some form of troller I would guess.

This is a non working boat and it's actually at a restaurant called Hole in the Wall and has a bar of sorts on it they are building.

Reactions: Dos_Ruedas

·
Two skinny J's
21,806 Posts
View attachment 53407 Random scenery :cool:.

View attachment 53408 See, I really was there! I was even wearing a CO National Monument jersey bought on a previous riding of the event.

View attachment 53409 Tunnel exit. Note the guard rail and riders on the upper right where the road runs after another hairpin curve. It switches back just as sharply above.

View attachment 53410 My beloved steed. 19,000mi and still going strong.

View attachment 53411 Beginning the payoff descent. Note the road far below. Lots of good times in hairpins to come.

View attachment 53412 If memory serves, the generous hairpin curve shown is marked '25mph'. Not bad on a route featuring several curves marked for negotiation at 10mph. I...may have exceeded some of those recommendations ;). On the upper left, the yellow jersey of a cyclist is just visible on the road along the top of the cliff running from the left foreground.
Of all things, I'm dig'n that beard/gotee

Reactions: newleaf150
3861 - 3880 of 3943 Posts