Two Spoke Forums banner
3881 - 3900 of 3926 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,803 Posts
As @Dos_Ruedas said that bakery looks MIGHTY fine and I can only imagine the aromas of the fresh baked goods.

Very nice ^ and while I’m intrigued by the architecture, covered bridge and angular lighting, it’s that first picture of the bakery that I’ll be dreaming about as i close my eyes in a few moments.
I'm drooling over the bakery! I miss good bakeries and real honest to god butchers and meat shops.

·
2,023 Posts
Very nice ^ and while I’m intrigued by the architecture, covered bridge and angular lighting, it’s that first picture of the bakery that I’ll be dreaming about as i close my eyes in a few moments.
The ruins are the New Hope Silk and Cotton Mill in New Hope, PA, built in 1813 but destroyed by fire in 1879. The present owner has incorporated a residence around the shell; it’s quite stunning. The bakery is French, C’est La Vie, on the Delaware river. I was out for a long ride that day and stopped for a strawberry custard brioche. The place smells wonderful, so much nicer than the Starbucks 2 blocks away. There are some places in Bucks County that make you feel as if you’re riding in Europe.

·
tall old member
1,499 Posts

·
tall old member
1,499 Posts
Tell us you rode those stairs.
Pretty hard to do, right where that sunbeam is in the picture is a steel beam you have to duck under when walking. Maybe you could make it on a recumbent. That’s not the end of the stairs, they turn to the left and again to the right to take you up on the bridge.
My strength is really coming back nice. The first time this fall that I pushed my bike up that climb it was all I could do. This time I buzzed right up.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,713 Posts
Good times in Wilson, WY. A few days ago, now.
Plant Sky Cloud Tree Leaf

Cloud Plant Sky Road surface Asphalt
Nephew and BIL bringing up the rear. They are trying to talk the nephew out of his training wheels, but he's having none of it just yet.

Sky Cloud Plant Mountain Road surface
My 10yo niece on her 3 speed.

Plant Sky Road surface Natural landscape Tree
Every time I get to ride this section, it feels like a huge privilege.

Plant Sky Cloud Natural landscape Wood
At this point. I still thought 'the Troll' was mostly imaginary. Turns out she is very real, if not pictured here.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,713 Posts
Plant Sky People in nature Tree Snow
Yes, they're all on foot, but we got here by bike. No riding on this particular trail.

Water Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape
What is that through the bushes?!

Plant Wood Snow Twig Tree
What?

Cloud Sky Water Plant Nature
The water level is low. I'm told her outstretched leg makes a bridge in the summer.

Plant Sky Wood Sculpture Statue
Nephew and nieces on the right, Mrs. Newleaf on the left. The overstuffed sausage casing in the middle is me.

Plant Tree Sculpture Wood Statue
You never know what you'll find out on the trail.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,785 Posts
Legs wait, on humble flat spins over hills. All the while rain that never lets loose from the heavens somehow finds its way to fully soaking one thru.
Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape

Ireland cycling is nothing like I have ever known. Rain one can’t see lends to a wet I’ve never known on a bike. Or it lashes down in buckets without cold. When sun shines it is on a string tied to happiness as if in ones own pocket. There is no mountain pass. No Col, no majestic climb where one can dance on the pedals. Legs wait, spinning past castle ruins into coastal winds that slow progress.
Green rolling hills dotted with sheep line slender tarmac. Farmers wave from a tractor announcing safe passage on narrow road. Legs wait, sprinting just to know they are still alive.

Then someone says with accent so strong I can barely understand them, that as suspected there is no mountain climb. They do however speak of a gap. Oh it’s not long of course they assure. But steep they claim, even suggesting I might not want to attempt it without larger rear cogs. Legs wait, as route is planned.

Legs wait, as pedals spin km after km. Passing the ruins of an ancient cathedral a slight curve and incline begins. Soon it is flat again. A castle, war torn from it’s ancient past; distracts my disappointment that there is no real climb. A long sweeping left bend and little rolling hill and my heart flutters! There it is, the Gap of Dunloe. I am certain by the way the tarmac winds steeply ahead of my wheel. My mind tells my legs to wait. Hands betray mind followed by legs that have no wait left in them. Rear derailleur allows chain to click. Then as if by magic my own rear reacts to the sound rising from the saddle. A slight flex from my tiny ageing Wilier beneath my effort before the rear wheel fully responds. Legs release months of waiting and in near sprint my mind let’s go of the last bits of reason and allows my physical self to go. In seconds hands are searching for lower gears. Sitting not an option as the road hastens toward the steepest sections of the gap. The steepness has caught me off guard. A glance at the Garmin attached to my stem tells me the road is nearing 15%. I can’t see past the turn ahead and I lecture myself about the silliness of the sprint to get here. A bend then steep pitch followed by another bend which I can’t see any tarmac past. The Garmin beeps as it is programmed to do announcing 18% grade. A rare thought occurs to me. ‘Just turn around Kilkenny is only 43 km back the way you came’. My legs refuse, maybe it is all the waiting they’ve done for a climb. Maybe, I am simply to stubborn to ever quit a climb.
Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape

Another bend reveals steepness and hopes of a flat section at it’s top. The Garmin beeps again as another bend announces there was no flat beyond the previous corner. The third time the Garmin beeps on the day it is the rapid beeps announcing 20% has been reached. “You think I don’t know!” I shout at the little box of chips and programmed data as if it is not my fault it announces such things. The vocal effort a mistake wasting vital oxygen my muscles need. I’ve never failed a climb, I remind myself.

Then it happens a flat to little rolling hill and sheep stare at me thru fences as if I’m of possible use. Most decide not, but a few bah an approval of my efforts, or at least I tell myself that’s their opinion. My heart rate nears normal again, I spin with ease. The Gap of Dunloe was short as promised but far steeper than I expected. I cry from happiness and delight. And I discover it wasn’t my legs that were anxiously waiting for a climb but my heart and soul.
Sky Cloud Plant community Mountain Road surface

3881 - 3900 of 3926 Posts